Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So how do you sharpen pencils?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages View Post
    Am I the only one who uses an utility knife or my trusty old Gerber pocket knife??
    No, but I find a side axe is much more macho! I rarely mark panel materials at all, though, the scales on the saw take care oif that for me.

Phil

I think that Bill Huber gets the prize for most creative adaptation! Wow!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Brian have you tried the Veritas MK XII pencil sharpening system?

Electric here.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Wink

I use the Veritas Mark 1 sharpening system, item "D" for carpenters pencils as illustrated below.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...131,43408&ap=1

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    This has got years of use, I make this 35 years ago just messing around in the shop one night. It has gone though 3 kids and all the sharpening they did plus all that I have done.
    I will say it is not used much any more I have gone to a .05 but it is still there if I need it.

So do you think that 1/40th horse motor is a little overkill......
    That's nice, but I was sure somebody here would have theirs set up with automatic dust collection.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

I'm surprised no one else mentioned what I use.

A classic drafting pencil - the kind with the big honkin' 2mm leads. Sometimes called a "lead holder".

you can still get them at art supply stores. Berol I think is the most common brand, along with the leads. I have an old drafting pencil sharpener left over from my college days.

It sits on the bench top with a hollow sleeve in a rotating horizontal top, and has a little cup inside with some kind of abrasive on the inside surface. You advance the lead by pressing on a button at the top of the pencil (gravity feed - nothing fancy), insert it in the sleeve and crank the top around. The lead rides on the inside of the abrasive cup and is ground to a perfect point. This is called a "Tru-Point" sharpener made by a Michigan company. Buy one here for $10

Does nice double-duty as a holder for the pencil on the back of the bench that the newer lightweight plastic lead pointers can't manage.

I usually like to use a marking knife, but when I need a pencil, this really does the trick.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

Steve - that is amazing. I can't believe that after 51 posts on pencil sharpening, you actually came up with something I can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    First I fire up my belt sander, starting with 80 grit, then working over to about 220. Then I set up the beals buffing system, stopping just short of the waxing step. A couple of touch-up swashes on the .5 micron abrasive film puts on the fine chisel-edge for accuracy and the pure beauty of a hand-made pencil point.

Following this, I use my big sand-paper cleaner stick, launder the buffing wheels, and wipe down the abrasive film with oil so I don't mark up my wood. I figure it's a lot easier than having a special tool just to sharpen a pencil.

LOL
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

2 old Boston school crankers.
    mounted front and rear of shop so I don't have too far to travel to get to one of them.

All my fastcap tapes have sharpeners built in.

Last resort, utility or pocket knife

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Steve - that is amazing. I can't believe that after 51 posts on pencil sharpening, you actually came up with something I can use.
    Nice to be rewarded for wading through all the silliness, huh?

Actually some of these posts were priceless!
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

I wouldn't call this thread "silly", Steve...it's been extremely interesting to hear about/see some of the innovative ways (and not so innovative ways) that folks do a very essential and basic task. And no "mine is better/bigger than yours" arguments, either!!!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I wouldn't call this thread "silly", Steve...it's been extremely interesting to hear about/see some of the innovative ways (and not so innovative ways) that folks do a very essential and basic task. And no "mine is better/bigger than yours" arguments, either!!!
    I'm surprised that since I started this thread that I am the only one who mentioned the "cordless drill & hand sharpener" trick

J.R.

Should I wait for the Tormek pencil sharpening jig or settle for the Jet should it come out first?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by John Ricci View Post
    I'm surprised that since I started this thread that I am the only one who mentioned the "cordless drill & hand sharpener" trick
    Hmmm....I have modified a knitting needle on my Stubby 750 lathe for Professor Dr. SWMBO. I suspect it would work equally well for pencils using the #1 spigot jaws in my Talon chuck. I would guess that would at least make for one of the more, umm...pricey...solutions to sharpening pencils!
    --