Thread: layered peppermills how to

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A couple of weeks ago Ben Dahl asked me some question on how I made my pepper mills out of layers of wood I tried to explain but we felt it easier then next time I make some I would take some pics so here it is. I just made 2 new ones both wenge and zebra wood but the main wood is the opposite for each. I used pics from both mills for this so hopefully it's not confusing.

boards.jpg

This is some wenge and zebra wood milled up to about 2 5/8 wide and 14" long. the thickness of each piece doesn't matter as long as it is symmetrical and is over 3" but I prefer 3 1/2".

tilted.jpg

start by cutting off a 3" piece and put it on the side it will be used for the top. Here is the wood already glued and on the lathe I come in 1 1/4" on each end but form the opposite side and turn it off center.

round.jpg

Here the wood is roughed down I put a tenon on it so I can mount it in a chuck and drill it.

drill.jpg

Next I use my version of a steady rest and drill my holes. I start with a 1 5/8 and go in about 1/2". then a drill a hole 1 1/8 the whole way through. I was given a 10" twist bit I use but you could use a forstner and an extension.

shelac.jpg

Mount it on the lathe and make a shape. Here is a finished one on the lathe, I normally put a coat of shellac on and burnish it in to seal it.

top.jpg

Here is the top. I normally mount it cross grain to make the cut.

done.jpg

Here's the 2 I just made plus a cocobolo/curly maple one I made before just so it is easier to see the tilt. the zebra/wenge ones still need 5 coats of lacquer "hic" and buffed then I will assemble them. Hope this was ok and not to long. Any questions just ask!

So the finished pics have a glare I might try to take more tomorrow.

Bob
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 12-15-2008 at 2:11 PM.