Thread: Diamond parting tool vs. Standard parting tool?

Diamond parting tool vs. Standard parting tool?

I have this set of detail turning tools:

http://fisch-woodworking.com/detailturningtools.shtml

Why do I have two types of parting tools? Is there a different use for a diamond parting tool vs. a standard parting tool? Also, could I use the standard parting tool in a similar fashion as a skew (since I don't have one of those) or would this be a "no-no?"

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Buys View Post
    Why do I have two types of parting tools?
    Got me there... that is a little goofy to just stick one in a set and not include a skew. That set seems a little lacking in basic tools... I would think a 1" roughing gouge also to be essential over a 1/8" gouge. The advantage of the diamond parting tool I believe is that it doesn't bind as easily, but I haven't used one. I have a 1/4 standard I believe and a Stott super thin. I have used a parting tool as a skew sort of before for like rolling beads and what not. The size you got is kinda small to use one like that. You might try getting a cheapy skew cause those are really nice tools once you get used to them.
    Isaiah 55:6-7

The diamond style parting tool gives you clearance between the two sides of a deep cut which reduces heat and burning when making said deep cut.

And yes, you can use parting tools to do things like role small beads and the like...but...it has to be sharp and you need to insure that you're getting a good shear cut and not scraping material off. Presentation of the tool is "everything" in this operation. But it's a good skill to have since that's what you want to do when making typical parting cuts too!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The diamond parting tool has less surface area on the side touching the wood as you turn into the wood. This reduced surface area reduces friction and is supposed to reduce the chance of a catch.

I have both.....I use the standard more often....but I have no real reason other than it's handy....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I like the extra clearance the diamond parting tool gives but I find the diamond parting tool a PITA to get the edge square to the wheel. Much more set up and testing versus a regular parting tool.

Corey

I like a regular parting tool also as I can never get the edges or ends square with the diamond parting tool.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Aaron, I have both (3/16" Harbor Freight & a 1/4" Benjamin's Best) but find I use the regular parting tool over the diamond 90% of the time. As the others have stated, the diamond is harder to sharpen correctly but I really don't care for the slightly wider cut that it makes. Puts a lot more stress on your wrist when hanging off the tool rest cutting towards center.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Aaron,

Perhaps it's my failing eyes, but from the picture at the link it does not appear to me that you have what most of use would call two different types of parting tools. To be sure, can you describe the stock the "diamond parting tool" is made from? If it is flat bar stock, say 3/4" wide x 1/8" thick (I'm making the dimensions up), it's not a "diamond" parting tool. Instead, it is a "standard" parting tool. A diamond parting tool is made from stock that has a diamond cross section -- the edges along the bar's width is thinner than the thickness in the middle of the bar. The diamond cross section is supposed to reduce the catches. Below is a link to a picture of a diamond parting tool:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=988-0216

The picture of what the description calls a "1/8" standard parting tool" appears to be of a skew chisel. The tip of the tool seems to be ground so it is longer from one edge of the width to the next, making one side of the tool have a "long point" and the other a "short point". It also appears that the two points are connected by a knife-like edge. If so, this is a skew and not a parting tool. Here's a link to a picture of a skew chisel:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=988-0213

I apologize in advance if my eyes were deceiving me and you already knew this. (Isn't that one of the great things about the web? It gives us a chance to make fools of ourselves in front of thousands...)

Well, I'm going to assume that the advertisment knows standard terminology, as misleading as it can be sometimes. Makes a diamond the equivalent of a hollow grind on a sawblade. Creates a wider kerf than it needs for entry clearance. Great tenon cutter and such, and the larger section and diamond form allow it to make deeper parting moves than thin sections can tolerate.

The thin one is for parting shallow and with minimum interruption in figure. I prefer the two-fanged version (ATB equivalent) Sorby sells, but this will certainly work. I use both kinds, though my 1/4 doesn't have a diamond form, so requires a broader area on deep parts. I use a diamond stone for touching him up, and don't worry too much about square across, because a little skew left is compensated with a flip.
    Last edited by George Tokarev; 04-15-2007 at 8:55 AM.

Okay I finally got around to taking a close up picture of the tool in question. Despite the fact that the product page calls this a parting tool I think I'm with David in assuming this is actually a skew chisel and not a parting tool. Watcha think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a skew!
    Isaiah 55:6-7

No bout a doubt it, skew. Not even listed in the description. Either they've not updated their site (unheard of!) to match their set, or you've got some other one. Rest of the stuff match?

Truth is, I'd rather a small skew than a diamond tool anyway. More useful overall.

Looks like a small skew to me.
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!