Thread: Used all my technology on this sign

Used all my technology on this sign

Here is a sign I made that utilizes 4 high tech machines if you count the computer. (Note, this was more of an experiment than it was a for-profit project).

The substrate is 1" thick Extira. Painted with exterior latex paints. 32w x 24h
    1.The design was made with Corel X3 and driver used to cut.(Computer)
    2.The design was exported to Enroute 3plus and toolpaths were created to cut out the chamfered design. The substrate was reverse routed to raise the letters 1/4" above the surface (the large ones in red in Freestyle script font) on the CNC router.
    3.The same layout was then utilized to vector cut the letters,comb, scissors and barber chair out of Rowmark outdoor plastics with the Epilog 40w EXT. After I cut the letters, I put the whole sign in the laser, applied application tape as a mask and vector marked the lettering for the layout. Weeded out the tape, and then sprayed 3m Super 77 for the adhesive as the letters were put down.
    4. Since the comb and scissors had to lay flat, I cut red sign vinyl for the red design behind the comb and scissors with the plotter.

It worked out well. I used 2500 as the frequency when cutting the small black letters and they came out very clean with no flaming or anything.
    Their are probably faster methods of creation, but I wanted this look with the plastic and this was my best idea.
    (P.S. the lady that owns this shop and has kind of a strange name for a hair cutter, but it's for real. I have thought she might consider a name change but is a very nice person and has been cutting my hair for a long time, so the implication is not true)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Larry Bratton; 04-14-2007 at 7:23 PM. Reason: added size
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Really nice.

A side note: On the few signs I've done... I've successfully talked the client out of putting business hours in lettering that's tough to change.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Thanks! Not with this, 2 strokes on the laser and I could change the letters. Just cut a couple of new ones.
    Last edited by Larry Bratton; 04-14-2007 at 8:12 PM. Reason: added thanks
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Larry...you sly devil!

That is ABSOLUTELY fantastic! You did a great job and utilized varied equipment in the process with perfection. That shows some real versatility, capability and knowledge.

You do some really good work! Keep it up and show us some more.

I love it!
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.

Thanks so much David, that's a real compliment coming from a master like you.

Thats great work!!!

I think combining machine capabilities is the key to setting one apart from the rest of the crowd. Having this capability allows you to never have to say no and allows almost unlimited creativity.
    We too have lasers , cnc machines , digital printers , digital print and cut machines, sandblasting etc and often combine all these machines capabilites and output and manage to do
    some innovative work. Not only signage , the possibilites for awards and Point of sale items are fabulous. Add a pex bender and perhaps a sheet metal bender/roller and it even gets better.

The cheapest "extra" machine one can add with a laser is a simple wire pex line bender , amazing what you can do with just that and a laser!!

Larry
    Good work and very nice design. Good color choices, too.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike, the color choices were kind of tough. The building that it is going on is light GREEN! The customer already uses that graphic on some other signage with red and black, so I was kind of married to that. I think the black border against the light green will help to neutralize it. We'll see, it's being installed on Tuesday.

Very nice work Larry! Thanks for posting the photo. I really enjoy veiwing photos of what skilled folks like you can accomplish.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Belinda:
    You had posted earlier a problem you were having cutting out plastic letters. I replied with an answer about the frequency..those are the letters I referred to in the post. I hope you got your problem solved.

Larry,

Great sign! May I ask what router bit you used to do the "area clear" for the raised letters? I'd like to experiment with that myself.

Mike

Mike, 1/2" endmill to hog it out then a cleanup around the letters with a 1/4" endmill. Nothing special, just plain ole Whiteside CNC bits.