Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT: Gas Prices

Originally posted by Jim Talbert
    Prices here are $1.68 for regular unleaded. Our pickup and delivery driver goes through a tank of gas a day and it sure has put a crunch on daily expenses.
    Jim Talbert
    Cardinal Tool Sharpening
    www.cardinaltool.com
    We get .36 per mile expenses so if you have a auto that gets 20 miles per gallon that equals about $7.20 per gallon at the end of the year. I know this doesn't help right now but it does help a little.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I live 60 miles NW of Wash. DC and the price of the cheap stuff is $1.63. If you travel 30 miles closer to DC, where I work, the price jumps about $0.15. When you then get to the out skirts of DC, the price jumps another $0.15.

The cheapest price here, Redding, CA, is around $1.91. It's $2.20 in San Francisco (About 250mi south of here). Ironically, the refineries are just across the bay from San Fran. so the transportation cost is less. Gas is cheaper in Oregon which is further yet from the refineries. As soon as the crude prices were announced, the price at the pump went up immediately. Obviously that had no relationship to the increase in crude prices.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Originally posted by Stan Smith
    The cheapest price here, Redding, CA, is around $1.91. It's $2.20 in San Francisco (About 250mi south of here). Ironically, the refineries are just across the bay from San Fran. so the transportation cost is less. Gas is cheaper in Oregon which is further yet from the refineries.

Taxes and overhead account for the difference. Not that I'm making any comments about the tax structure, labor costs, regulatory costs, or lands costs in San Francisco... that might be construed as "political".

As soon as the crude prices were announced, the price at the pump went up immediately. Obviously that had no relationship to the increase in crude prices.
    "Obviously"

Retail runs one of two ways. Either the retailer secures the goods from the manufacturer/distributor, sells it, and THEN pays for it, or the retailer pays for it up front, or the retailer turns the stock over EXTREMELY quickly, which has the same effect as pay up front. When retailers pay up front, increases in future cost are frequently passed along immediately because if the need for more $$ to replenish the stock. Decreases are slower simply because experience has taught the market that following a decrease as quickly is an easy way to get whipsawed.

Last Night: Las Vegas, NV - Premium - $2.11
    Cedar City, UT - Premium - $1.96

(This is a reversal and magnification of the trend for the last year or so, where LV prices tended to be a bit higher than Southern Utah's. The LV market is following SoCal right now.)
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Re: Hmmmm - Saw this the other day

Originally posted by Peter DeFazio
    Got this in my email the other day.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Makes you think....

You Think A Gallon Of Gas Is Expensive?

Makes one think, and puts things in perspective.

Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 ......... $10.32 per gallon
    Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19.........$ 9.52 per gallon
    Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 .................$10.17 per gallon
    Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 ......... $10 .00 per gallon
    Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 ............ $33.60 per gallon
    Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 ............ $178.13 per gallon
    Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 ........... $123.20 per gallon
    Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 ............... $25.42 per gallon
    Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 ................... $84.48 per gallon

and this is the REAL KICKER......
    Evian water 9 oz for $1.49 ........ $21.19 per gallon.
    $21.19 FOR WATER! ....and the buyers don't even know the source.

So, the next time you're at the pump, be glad your car doesn't
    run on water, Scope, or Whiteout, or Heaven forbid....
    PEPTO BISMOL or NYQUIL!!!!

That's all true Peter,

But I probabaly won't ever buy 30 gallons a week of any of that stuff, and if I had to I could go several weeks without buying any of it at all! Gas I gotta have,

Jim Izat

1.599 in Houston yesterday

Smile fuel prices and so on....

I just have to chuckle whe I see someone in their 50k dollar SUV complain about fuel costs....we own a Suburban....OK, I just keep hitting my head on the ceiling in anything smaller. At 12 mpg I'm not complaining as we are a family of six and the LOML usually has them with her in the "Bus" so it's worth it. Me on the other hand....selling my gas powered truck when I get my diesel in April. I'm leaving chevy truck and going Ford at that...losing my head? The price was right and I liked the fit and finish better. It'll be a 3/4 ton 4x4 extended cab....just enough room for a couple of kids to help with the busing issues.