Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What a Pain

Dave,

There are several products that work very well to prevent the extreme lock up you had. One is called Never Seize. (Hardware or Auto Supply) I think it's spelled some cutesy way but that is how it's pronounced. It is used when re-installing the screws, on the threads and under the heads where they exert their force. These compunds work in several ways: They are heat resistant, corrosion resistant, and reduce friction. The best solution to thread seizure is to prevent it. That said, all the other suggestion have merit. Heat and shock are timeless methods but some applications won't tolerate either one. The rest are geared toward ways of getting lube in after-the-fact. Often, that is where one is forced to start but after that pre-emptive measures are worth their weight in gold. And, like everything else, use high quality tools.

Good point

Jim, With all the pipe clamps in the shop, I should have tried that method.

Greg - Never seize sounds like a good preventitive measure. Would there be a chance of the screws loosening over time with that product?

Dave

The stuff is called Never-Seez and it is terrific product!!

You can learn a little about it here:

http://www.neverseezproducts.com/index.html

I would not use anti-seize on a cutter head. Just me, but it don't seem right. As far as getting those buggers out the very best penetrant is available at your local DRUG store. They have it in small bottles. Go get some Wintergreen Oil! Most all the products that are made as penetrants have a small amount of Wintergreen oil as their active ingredent. Why not use the stuff @ 100% power? Just dip a toothpick in the bottle and dab that to the screws and let her sit overnight. Apply a little heat if you think that will help.
    Building Inspector, CBO

Quote Originally Posted by Scot wolf View Post
    I would not use anti-seize on a cutter head. Just me, but it don't seem right. As far as getting those buggers out the very best penetrant is available at your local DRUG store. They have it in small bottles. Go get some Wintergreen Oil! Most all the products that are made as penetrants have a small amount of Wintergreen oil as their active ingredent. Why not use the stuff @ 100% power? Just dip a toothpick in the bottle and dab that to the screws and let her sit overnight. Apply a little heat if you think that will help.
    Cool! And if it doesn't work, you'll have the best smelling jointer around! Seriously, I never knew this one. I'm with Dave M.; Printing this one out for future reference! Thanks guys.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Great.

Now you've scared me. I've got a DJ-20 that I bought several years ago that I've yet to sharpen or change the blades on.

Thanks. Now I can go in to the task armed with some clues about how to get them out.