Thread: Requirements to turn a Baron pen?

Requirements to turn a Baron pen?

I've got a PSI Maxi Mandrel and a Slimline pen kit. Will I need a different mandrel for doing more popular pen shapes like Baron pens or is the style dependent only on how the wood is turned?
    Last edited by Aaron Buys; 04-08-2007 at 8:06 PM.

Aaron....I have limited pen turning experience and don't have a PSI mandrel but.........my understanding is that all you'd need to change styles of pens is the appropriate bushing set for the specific type of pen. I'm sure some experienced pen turners will jump in with more advice.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I don't have the PSI Maxi Mandrel. But assuming that it's a standard pen mandrel it will work with most of the pen kits available from different suppliers. As far as I know the Baron pens kits (which make a very nice pen) are only available from Arizona Sillouette. You can order the complete setup which includes the pen kit, bushings, and drill bits.

mandrels

Aaron

I've only turned a few pens, but found out the hard way that there are two sizes of mandrel, A & B. There are different outer sized bushings for each mandrel, depending on the size of the pen. Even though I've only done a few pens, I've needed an A and a B mandrel. I have two different sets of bushing for the A and one set for the B. The diameter of the tubes differs, too.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Hmmm..

My mandrel says it is a #2 MT Maxi Mandrel and uses 7mm bushings. Any idea if this is A or B?

Aaron...I can't say 100% fersure, but it sounds like you have the same mandrel as the one I have from Woodcraft. It is an "A" mandrel and it fits quite a few different kits. The Baron kit seems to be the same as the Navigator from WC, and it is turned with the "A". Here's an explanation of the difference between the "A" and "B mandrels...
    http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Madrels.htm
    You'll need different bushings and drill bit sizes for each style kit you want to do. The Arizona Silhouette site shows clearly which mandrel/bushings/drill bits you need for each style, and the owner gets lots of positive comments over on the penturners' forum.
    Working for a living is really starting to interfere with my hobbies!

I have turned lots of Barons I checked my bushings and the ar 7mm and the fit my 7mm psi mandrel. I do have some other mandrels 8mm for other pen designs

Bob

Thanks!

Many thanks as usual guys. Looks like I'm good to go for Barons when I'm ready!

Aaron

Aaron,
    Blackwood and bloodwood with chrome make the nicest barons

Bob

Sorry for the bad pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

The mandrels from psi, csu, and the berea A are basically interchangeable. There may be a couple of thousandths of an inch difference in diameter, so you may encounter a need to ream bushings just slightly to fit on the mandrel. I have yet to encounter any that needed to be reamed.

The berea B mandrel is larger in diameter and is not interchangeable with any of the others. However, if your chosen pen style requires a B mandrel, you can use the A mandrel (or equivalent) if you buy your bushings at woodcraft. Woodcraft is a berea reseller (although they often use different names for the styles) but they have all of their bushings machined to fit the A mandrel.