Thread: Osc. Edge Sander vs. Belt/Disc Sander

Osc. Edge Sander vs. Belt/Disc Sander

I plan on upgrading many of my stationary tools when we build my future shop. I had planned on buying both a belt/disc sander as well as an oscillating edge sander. Now, in spite of having a much larger shop than I do now, I am wondering if I will have sufficient room for both. So the question arose - Do these machine's functions overlap sufficiently to own only one of them? And if so, which one is the preferred machine? I hardly hear anyone mention their OES (so I assume there is limited ownership) while belt sanders are spoken of frequently. I am leaning in the direction of the OES, as I like the larger table, but want to be certain I would not be losing functionality that I would only get with the belt/disc sander.

If you were to buy just one, which one would you buy....and why?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Glen:

I use both the edge sander and my belt/disc machine. If I had to choose I would go with my edge sander. I use it every day. I am so glad I bought it. Everything from large panels to small work. Good luck!

Build with Confidence

Mike

I second Mike's post for the edge sander. It also fixes mistakes and cleans up miter joints better. I too have a small shop (used for hobby stuff) and I sold my belt/disc combo machine to make way for the edge sander. That was almost 20 years ago and I'm still glad I did it.

My edge sander does not oscillate. If I bought one today, it would oscillate.

-Jeff

I have the combo...and wish I had the edge sander. I only use the belt on the combo and would get far more utility out of the edge sander.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sounds as if my thinking was true. Thanks guys.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I have both and like the other's I use my edge sander way more than the combo machine.

Another with both and like the others would choose the edge sander first.

I've never used an oscillating edge sander. The pictures I've seen make it look like the belt stays fixed and the table moves up and down. Is that right? Can you control the workpiece that way? What is the speed of the oscillations?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    John, The one I seen being usedwas a grizzly. The table was stationary and the belt moved. The table was adjustable and also allowed as a spindle sander to. It just took a few minutes to switch it it around. Now I just have to get the money to buy one.

I built mine myself and the table is stationary and the belt osciilates up and down by "rocking" the idler pulley.

Hi Glen,
    I had a combo machine and as Jim mentioned, the disc was rarely used. I bought the Grizz 1140 edge sander and use it all the time. I then bought the 1071 osc. spindle sander. I looked at the BOSS, Rigid, large and small Jet, Steel City, and decided on the Griz because I'm close to the Bellingham store , I believe it is the same machine as the Jet(SC??), and the 10 spindle sizes were included. It is a great machine to use, and after having the oscillating feature, I am considering selling the 1140 and getting the Osc. edge sander as well.

I would recommend you get the osc. edge sander and the osc. spindle sander and not get the combo.

What brand of edge sanders have you researched?? I've only seen the Griz and they look good and appear to be a good value. The 1140 works well, but the osc. feature would be great, as would a larger table and platen. John.

Glen, I am with Jim on this one, had to do it again edge sander would be the one...