Thread: Baby on the way for first time Mom and Dad-Need a rocking chair plan

Baby on the way for first time Mom and Dad-Need a rocking chair plan

Hey all. Had the 8 week ultrasound this week for our first child. As a new woodworker and a future new parent, I want to give my wife a rocking chair as a mothers day gift before the kid is born.

Problem is, I don't know how to build a chair. Does anyone have plans for a solid back rokcing chair? I'd like for it to be something that I can tie cusions into. Thanks in advance.

Scott

Scott,
    Congrats for the little tike on the way. I just finished making a glider rocker for my wife. I got the plans from rockler. If you go to the rockler website and do a search for glider rocker you will find the plans. It is mission style so if that is what you like then all is good. It is a fairly easy plan but you should have a table saw with a taper jig, bandsaw, and you definately need a dowel jig. It is very sturdy and very safe. If you keep your eyes open you may be able to get the hardware at 50% off which is what I did. Just got back from the fabric store today with some foam and fabric so off to the sewing machine to finish this project.
    Good Luck,
    Greg

Scott.......Congratulations on the upcoming event! Life is good!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Ken. We're excited. I now have another excuse to hit the shop!! You know, to build the baby furniture.

Scott,
    Check out the Rocker on the Gen. woodworking forum. The rocker is fantastic!

Blog Entries
    Have you ever seen any of Sam Maloofs work? He offers books on these type of projects I believe. His work is amazing too.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Blog Entries
    I was at Woodcraft the other day and they had plans for rocking chairs for around 10 bucks. Nice chair too. Good luck.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Blog Entries
    I'm new to the group. I hope I'm not breaking protocol. Woodwork Magazine ran a two issue article featuring a Craftsman Rocker, a Paul Sellers design. I have built the chair, and it is an ambitous project, but it is one that can be built by a novice. I was a novice when I built it. I still am a novice, less than before. If you need more info, I can identify the issues it appeared in.