Thread: Thanks For The Cordless Advice

Thanks For The Cordless Advice

Hey all,
    Just wanted to thank all who donated there advice on cordless drills and thanks for making me feel welcome. Been reading up on them for like a week now and its getting time to decide. Think I have narrowed it down to like three. It is between old faithful Dewalt {which I have owned} 18 volt with XRP batteries. Makita 18V model BDF451 w/Li-ion bats. And also considering a Hatachi 18V with Li-ion batteries or NiMH Batteries. Oops, thats four. Thought about a Panasonic, which I'm sure is a real good drill from all I have read, but something about buying a drill the same make as my DVD recorder just turns me off. Still a little leary about the lith batteries but they sure are a lot lighter and hold a charge longer from what I have read. Not sure about the longevity though. Any way, this is a great site and its in my favorites. Looking forward to some great reading in the future. Thanks again

I LOVE my hitachi drill. Will never buy another brand.

Jim, the extra for the LI batteries is worth the difference.These batteries don't have the memory problems like NiCads do, which is what causes shortened recharging cycles. The lithiums also can be considered a smart battery, because they have circuitry to prevent overheating/overcurrent problems. As I mentioned in a previous post that several companies are now offering a 5 year warranty on their LI batteries. Good luck on whatever drill you choose, there certainly is many choices these days.

I use only my DeWalt cordless drills. Tried friends other options, okay, but the DeWalt's are like old friends, just hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by James Phillips
    I LOVE my hitachi drill. Will never buy another brand.
    yeah but the color scheme of dem things....

I have an older DeWalt and a recently purchased Craftsman. The Craftsman is lighter, better balanced, has far more torque and higher speed than the DeWalt (although the batteries don't seem to last quite as long). Drilling Kreg Pocket screw holes is like night and day. The DeWalt has become a dust catcher and might even be fodder for my next yard sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Penning
    yeah but the color scheme of dem things....
    You mean you do not like the green monster color scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by James Phillips
    You mean you do not like the green monster color scheme?
    My kid's old teenage mutant ninja turtle toys always come to mind when I see a hitachi.