Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jesada.. annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blough
    Jeff
    I hope your going to take these two bit over to Infinity and have them check them. Personally I don't think either problem should have occured.
    Please take them over and see how David handles the problem. I would love to heard what he says.
    I haven't contacted them regarding the chipped 3/8 inch bit. I did call about the broken 1/4 inch bit and they said that I should not attemt a cut any deeper than the diameter of a bit (a belief common in the industry I think). So I ordered (and paid) for two more, one for a spare. Maybe I will give them a call regarding the chipped 3/8" straight bit and see what there thinking is.

Steve
    I think that is totally unfair statement. First Infinity is a new company ran by the son of the man that ran Jesada, back when Jesada was considered a premier router bit company and before it was sold and long before it began having problems.

I visited Infinity and David the owner took time out of his day to show me around, answered every question I posed and advised me on solution to a problem I was having. I bought one bit from him at the time and I can say it is probably the best cutting bit I have ever seen. It produced paper thin almost transparent shavings, every other bit I have ever used produced what I would call saw dust or chips. I know all my future bits will be Infinity.

I would think unless you can point to specific problem you had with Infinity just connecting Jesada and Infinity is not right.
    Ed, I respect your opinion but I was very careful to only state facts.

1. I had a problem bit from Jesada and wasn't happy with the resolution. I didn't state it at the time, but it actually occurred while David's father still owned and operated the company, I actually spoke with the father at the time.

2. I didn' state any personal experience negative or postive about Infinity. I purely stated that the two companies are linked in my mind due to the ownership issue. I won't give them a second chance. Infinity may be a fantastic company, I just have too many options for my woodworking dollar to risk being disappointed.

One of my measures of a good bit company is if a 1/4" bit holds up to a little stress. I have two older Jesada 1/4-ply bits that won't dull or die no matter what I do to them. On the opposite side, the Freud 1/4"er I bought last year broke 1" in to it's first cut with a depth of just over 1/8" in birch ply. It's real annoying, but I've learned to keep spares in that size now. It seems that if they survive the first 5' they'll last a while.
    Jay St. Peter

BTW, one of the things I like about Infinity is that they often have overstock sales. I am in a phase right now where most of the bits I have are dull and I'm replacing many of them. I keep a list of bits that need replacement soon and wait until they go on a good sale. I've been scoring most of my Infinity bits at 1/2 price. So far, they've done well for me, but haven't survived the test of time quite yet.
    Jay St. Peter

5. Also utilizing the Infinity sales. I buy Whiteside or Infinity when each on sale and have not had issues with either. Infinity orders are processed efficiently, and I've had no returns. Seem like good value, some bits are USA and some are offshore.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    I also do not buy from Infinity (don't ask).
    I think if you're going to make a negative comment about Infinity you should back it up with at least a fact or two. I've had nothing but the best experiences with Infinity and the owner, David V. I've spoken to him on the phone probably half a dozen times and every time he remembers me and seems happy to give me any info and advice I need. He also has answered the phone himself every time I've called. I've had outstanding customer service and the quality of the few dozen bits and 4 or 5 saw blades I've received is second to none. Most of my other bits are either Freud or Whiteside. I prefer the Infinity bits. I just hate seeing a great company like Infinity get hit like this without so much as an explanation.

Bruce

As many of you are aware, Infinity Tools is not and never has been affiliated with any other company. We started this business four years ago on the premise that great tool design, manufacturing and superior customer service would win high marks with the woodworking community. After thousands of successful transactions I'm proud of the fact that our products are considered by many to be among the best in the business and our service is equally applauded. How do we accomplish this? We work extremely hard to maintain the highest standards possible for quality and customer service. All of our tools are manufactured to the most stringent standards for quality and we back this with our ironclad guarantee against defective workmanship.

To make any association, in any shape or form, between Infinity Tools and any other company (or your experience therewith) is uninformed and unfair. If you feel compelled to do so, please call me personally so I can explain the reality of the situation. I do not believe it is correct to place in doubt our unwavering commitment to quality and customer service by linking us with any other company; we work too hard to please our loyal customers.

I am available most days, all day, at 813-881-9090 and would be happy to speak with whomever has any questions.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

David Venditto
    Infinity Cutting Tools

Well said, David. Now let's see if Dennis Peacock will step up and explain his position. He is a moderator so I'm sure he reads this everyday.

As I said in my previous post, I've had nothing but very positive experiences with Infinity's customer service and products. Ok, to be fair I've never had any need for your customer service to fix any problems since every order and every product has been flawless. And you're the only person there to whom I've ever spoken. But you've always given good advice and information when I've asked for it and your people have always shipped out the orders fast and in perfect condition. I just hate seeing a company with a perfect track record, (at least in my book) get bad mouthed without so much as an explanation. Especially from a moderator.

Bruce

Bruce,

My first Infinity bits were two I purchased from another woodworker. They purchased them new, never used them and offered a good deal on new/unused bits. I got them and the carbride on one chipped while cutting Poplar. The other broke the carbide at the tip end of a straight bit. I simply stated that day that if that's the way these bits are? Then I'll stick with what I know will provide a good servicable cutting edge for my router needs.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thanks for the explanation. That's really surprising though. I've had nothing but perfect performance from a drawer full of Infinity bits and I haven't exactly been nice to them. I have everything from 1/8" straight bits to rail and stile bits and most in between. And numerous reviews both online and in magazines have praised their bits and blades. Of course you'll do what you like but I think you're missing out on the best bits and blades available. But I understand your reservations.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Benjamin
    Thanks for the explanation. That's really surprising though. I've had nothing but perfect performance from a drawer full of Infinity bits and I haven't exactly been nice to them. I have everything from 1/8" straight bits to rail and stile bits and most in between. And numerous reviews both online and in magazines have praised their bits and blades. Of course you'll do what you like but I think you're missing out on the best bits and blades available. But I understand your reservations.

Bruce
    Bruce,

It's not my style to nit-pik on tools and cutters. I also understand that the manufacturing process can't always be perfect for every single item it makes. But it's normal human nature....a bad taste in my mouth deters me from buying it again.
    Maybe I'll call David V. before my next router bit purchase and try this with a direct buy. I don't mind trying them again since I'll have a warranty to back my hard spent money.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Router Bits

Not to hijack, but I have had a recent issue with CMT DT bit.
    Bought it brand spanking new, 100% good shape.
    Cut one pair of pins-tails to check bit height.
    Examine bit closely, and find a chip in one of the carbides.
    There is NO way there was contact with the carbide with anything other than the 3/4" piece I used for the test cuts.
    VERY glad I did not buy the complete set & I am returning the other DT bit today. I'd try to return both bits, but the shipped one suffered sudden & drastic high speed collision with the concrete right next to the RT, somehow . So, let's say the little chip is not the big problem with that bit.
    I will never spend a cent on orange cutters again.
    Guess I should have bought the Whitesides in the first place.
    Just one less option for spinning carbides they way I look at it.

Thanks for everyone's feeback. I didn't even realize Jesada had new ownership. I knew they disappeared for a couple of years, but didn't know they sold.

I'm probably going to wimp out and just mail them back the wrong bits instead of spending time trying to persuade them to pay for shipping. For the $3-4 it will cost to ship, not a big deal, although I agree I shouldn't have to pay for their laziness and substitutions. I will send them registered mail though.. And it will be the last purchase I make from them.

Tungsten carbide is an extremely brittle material and can develop micro cracks from being dropping and or tossed in a drawer etc.
    Unless one can be sure that the defect was in the bit at the time of first use (out of the packing) then it is very difficult to assess the quality of the product.
    In a case such as this, I would be inclined to reserve judgment on the manufacturer and or the tool.

Cheers

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Oswin; 04-05-2007 at 5:59 PM.

Jeff
    I hope your going to take these two bit over to Infinity and have them check them. Personally I don't think either problem should have occured.
    Please take them over and see how David handles the problem. I would love to heard what he says.
    I called yesterday to tell them about the small chip in the 3/8 inch bit. They are sending me by priority mail a replacement at no charge. I offered to return the damaged one in the box the new one comes in. They did not require me to do so. I will include an explanation of how I used the bit, what wood was used, how many cuts I made and request they call me and let me know if in their opinion it was simply a defective bit, or is the chipped bit something to be expected based on how it was used. If they feel the chip is normal and to be expected in the kind of work I was doing with it, I will authorize them to charge me for the replacement bit.

It seems to me determining whether a bit has performed improperly is an almost impossible task. The manufacturer can never really know whether a bit has been abused or not. They run the risk of having customers unfairly claim poor quality in an attempt to get a free replacement.