Thread: 8 inch grinder

8 inch grinder

I just bought a Delta 8 inch variable speed grinder at Lowes on sale for 95 dollars with tax. It has one white wheel not sure what grit. What grit wheels do i need. I also have a Wolverine jig on order.

Larry, I have the same grinder, and if I remember correctly, the white wheel that came with the grinder was somewhere in the 60 grit range. (I found it too coarse for tool grinding.) There are varying opinions on wheel grit for sharpening turning tools. I prefer the 80 or 100 grit wheels, and I like the Norton Seeded Gel wheels. The Norton 3X is a good wheel too.

Do yourself a favor from the get-go with this grinder. If it has the tool-less quick release nut system for securing the grinding wheels, throw those away as soon as you can. They are out of balance, and you will never achieve good balance with this grinder using those contraptions. The thread size for the shaft is 5/8"-11, which is a common size. Any good hardware store will have that sized nut, in right and left hand thread, to replace the quick release ones that come with the grinder.

Larry mine has 60 grit and 120 grit white wheels. Been using them for a year now and seem to put on a good edge.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

My preference is one 60 grit and one 100 grit. I don't prefer the 120 grit wheels...they produce more heat than cut.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My Delta grinders white wheel was a 120 grit but I got it years ago so not sure if they still use the same wheel. I use 80 grit to sharpen and am happy with it. Every one has a different idea on what grit wheel to use usually 60,80, or 100
    Mike Vickery