Thread: 3 ~ patternmaker laths for sale- 1 has 16' outreach bed

Post 3 ~ patternmaker laths for sale- 1 has 16' outreach bed

Look at monster lathe #4 - that lathe is going up for sale- I don't know the details but I think the owner found his #22AC faceplate lathe. any one interested please contact me

UPDATE: I am not sure weather this is for sale or not, I was sent an email with the same first name as my other friend that owns the #18. My other friend has 8 Lathes, one of which is a Zimmerman from Germany - machined like Mercedes Benze and no doubt a top of the line pattern makers lathe, that is one sweet lathe! It is either that or an Oliver 20C or 20B - I know he is getting rid of 2 lathes so I will find out what the scoop is. He does have a #18 as well and this may be up - I will find out today , I phoned him and he is very good at getting back to me.
    Happy Turning
    Brian

INFO about the lathes AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS THREAD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 04-01-2007 at 9:34 PM. Reason: Update

Updates: lathe information above:

3. Wonder what kind of gas mileage that thing gets?

Man, when a friend comes to visit he'll have to ask; "Permission to come aboard, Captain?" Then you'll have to plot a course for that battleship....

Brian,
    Just curious since no way can I find room for something that size(right now) but what would something like that set you back. And what is that spindle size. Thanks, Brian

Your question Brian

Brian,
    Are you referring to the Zimmerman or the Oliver #18CC ? The Zimmerman I think has a 2-1/2" inboard spindle thread (it's in MM-Germany) the outboard ~ around 3" . The Oliver #18CC 1-7/8" 8tpi inboard and 2-1/4" 8tpi on the outboard spindle thread. I think he may also be getting rid of a J. A. Fay & Egan Co. Pattern lathe 30" x 100" or so with a powered carriage and plenty of tooling. Nice lathe - all 5000lbs of it ~ LOL . See,
    The problem that most Turners face when considering moving up to a large pattern lathe is "where do I put it" and that is the first problem. Let alone getting it from where it's located. Second problem - if you don't have 220 3ph in your shop your going to have to invest some additional money in a "Quality" variable frequency drive- they are considerably more costly than a rotary phase converter ,and a static converter is not feasible at all. I am not a big fan of rotary converters to begin with, once you have a variable frequency drive - the options that you have with a VFD are incredible - it truly is a great piece of modern technology in my book. There are options if you decide to move up to a pattern lathe,
    One of my fellow wood workers , dismantled a Zimmerman lathe , brought everything in his basement in sections, then he cleaned all the parts, and assemble everything back together again and it really wasn't all that bad , it really was a great place for it. He had some come along and some rigging on the I beam in his basement. The transition went smooth and it is on a very stable concrete foundation and a nice clean shop i might add. He has the metal horizontal outside storm doors that lead from outside and down into his basement. If you tried doing this down a normal flight of basement stairs- it will end up injuring someone, or possibly worse, for sure, let alone causing some massive damage on the way down. I talked with someone that was considering moving his 20B ( second smaller version of the 20 model) - I told him that I don't think it was in your infant son's best idea ! you are talking about 2 tons of steel , not a 500lb lathe altogether, that's just the bed- not including the legs, the headstock, the carriage and the tail stock - It made me nervous when it came time for me to pick my lathe up. well - i have to post the info - just received the e-mail i have been waiting for-
    Have a great night ! By the way - the Zimmerman used- $12-15,000 depending on the condition , I have seen only 2 of these for sale in the past and hard to find. My friend got his for swapping some power equipment - there was no money exchanged at all- it was a great deal all the way around for both parties. The oliver #18CC ,in mint condition- around the same price , one that need a lot of attention but still functional $3-5000. There is an Oliver 20C- like mine only in less desirable condition manufactured in 1937 selling for $10,800.00 it started at $15,800 and has come down since last year. It is the cadilac of pattern lathes but a little high for the condition it is in. However, if it is is very good operable condition, it may be worth that kind of money. I have also seen them go for as little as $2000.00 but missing some parts. and one that went for $3800 or so because no wanted to deal with the shipping charges or would not be able to come and pick it up- It's a total different ball game all the way around when it comes to the large pattern lathes. it all depends - lets put it this way. If you wanted "Oliver" (Eagle Machinery) to make you an Oliver 20C pattern lathe ,brand new, be prepared to spend between $55- 60,000.00 new. That's what Rich Finkle would tell you-, he is the owner of Eagle Machinery that bought out Oliver. The bearings for the spindle alone list for over $2000.00 - that's more than most of the lathes I have seen listed on here. So if you ever see one at a very reasonable price, I would jump on it before it slips through your fingers-well worth the investment in my eyes. You will just have to find a place to keep her!
    Happy turning
    Brian
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 04-01-2007 at 9:56 PM.

3 Pattern lathes-

These were not the lathes I was anticipating , there are some more that he is getting rid of ,but not now; You can contact him-Jeff Bahan-he is a member her as well as on OWWM ~ All of these lathes are listed on Owwm in the Pictures section under lathes.

Fay & Egan pattern makers Lathe- #243
    30"swing,
    102"between centers,
    power cross slide,
    toolholder,
    out board turning stand,
    6 faceplates,
    5 toolrests,
    4 centers,
    lots of tooling cutters.This is a very good lathe and is
    ready to use condition,
    Price $2500.

Yates American No.13 pattern maker,
    20"swing,
    72"between centers,
    2 faceplates,
    3 toolrest,
    crosslide carriage,
    crosslide tool holder,
    4 centers,
    can do offset and taper turning
    Very good condition and ready to use,
    Price $1800.

Putnum gap bed pattern makers lathe,
    30" swing over bed,
    60" swing over gap,
    up to 16 ft. between centers when bed is opened all the way,
    this lathe needs to be cleaned and painted.$1800

Happy turning
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 04-01-2007 at 9:28 PM.

Hi Brian,

No way am I in the market for one of these, but I love old iron and since you seem to know a bit about these, mind if I ask?

Compare a big old iron like one of these to a new lathe. You get lots more weight and cast iron, but what about other features? Do you have the kinds of speed controls you can buy new today? I guess it depends on your 3ph situation, but what , if anything, do you give up going old iron when it comes to lathes? Any trouble buying accessories (chucks or whatnot) for these monsters?

Thanks!

Older Lathes

Hi Tom,
    The accessories for large lathes are sometimes a problem to find, and sometimes it is not hard to find. Spurs and live ends are not a problem , unless you want original. Face plates are usually larger diameters and can be a problem to find, same goes with the chucks- it all depends. Most of the time these tools come with the lathes for the most part unless it has been cannibalized as a whole. As far as doing the same as these modern lathes- it's the other way around. You can't do very large turnings on most of these modern lathes, most of the time the swing capacity isn't there for one and the length is short as well. There not designed for that. Most of the turnings are obviously determined by the lathe design. There are several more options and less limitations ,in my opinion than with the new lathes of today. It also comes down to cost- they can be quite expensive and weight and location are also a problem sometimes. There is some work involved with updating them as well, some may only go up to a certain speed because they were not designed to go at a high RPM rating because they were used for just larger turnings 2" in up in diameter so there is no need to have it spin at 3000 rpm. A lot of turners desire these lathes , some don't care for them- it all depends on what type of turning they do.
    You have a great Day
    Regards,
    Brian