Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reclaimed Wood

Reclaimed Wood

After reading John Daugherty's post about his reclaimed barn wood table, I thought it might be interesting to see what other's have made from reclaimed wood.

I was fortunate enough to recover some heart pine from buildings destroyed during hurricane Ivan back in 2004. The buildings were constructed in Pensacola, FL between 1850 and 1900. I was able to salvage about 200 bdft of material (primarily roofing boards and rafters) from the buildings. Unfortunately, the rest went to the local land fills. The roofing boards were 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" thick, 10"-18" wide and 20' long. The rafters were 2"x6"x20'. They were very rough when I got them, having 100+ years of various types of shingles on them. They cleaned up very nicely. I ruined one set of planer knives in the process; if you don't find the nails, the planer will! The wide assortment of nails was interesting too: cut nails, copper and galvanized roofing nails, and galvanized common nails. I really showed the history of the roofing material used over the years. I built this chest of drawers from some of the material. Finish is orange shellac and wax.

Tom

Beautiful Tom..........the chest looks great!!

Basically 2x16x20' used for roofing boards!!!!...........they don't build em like they used too!!

Although its not in the same catagory as yours it was still made of reclaimed white ceder 2x4. It turned out so well I'm building another for the other end of the deck. Oh and great job on the dresser.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When in doubt, ask a Creeker.

Blog Entries
    John, that is an amazingly cool looking door.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Great find on the wood and wonderful use of it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Reclaimed Wood

I was told planing reclaime wood (without nails) was hard on a lunchbox planer and i should avoid it. Is this true ? If the wood has been varnished or polyed ?

John,

Don't sell yourself short. That is beautiful door. I really like the rustic look of the door with the black iron hardware.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall
    Beautiful Tom..........the chest looks great!!

Basically 2x16x20' used for roofing boards!!!!...........they don't build em like they used too!!
    Thanks Roy. You should have seen me bouncing down the road with a load of 20 footers hanging out of the back of my pick up.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene A. Manzo III
    I was told planing reclaime wood (without nails) was hard on a lunchbox planer and i should avoid it. Is this true ? If the wood has been varnished or polyed ?
    Eugene,
    Planing reclaimed wood is hard on your planer knives. In addition to the metal that might be in the wood, finish will dull and nick your blades also. That said, your planer will remove old finish faster than any other method I’ve tried. So, it’s a trade off, time vs. money. It seems like it always comes down to that.

Tom

Very nice! Finish really gives it a nice depth!

I made this table, a copy of one the LOML fell for in the Orvis Catalog, from wood reclaimed from a fallen barn. There is Oak, Pine and the grey weathered apron is Cedar.

I now have enough weathered cedar to last a lifetime.

A Shoji Lantern

I sold this at a local art auction a couple of months ago. The theme for this auction is alway lanterns and recycling. The description below was copy/pasted from what was posted at the auction. Sorry, just being a bit lazy.

The lantern itself
    PICT0312w.jpg
    Side detail
    PICT0300w.jpg
    Top detail
    PICT0307w.jpg
    Warmly lit
    PICT0296w.jpg

Description of Lantern: ____Shoji - the modern term for translucent paper doors or windows - was the inspiration behind this lantern upon finding a piece of corrugated plastic in a curbside throw away. The side cutouts originated with just two free-hand pencil lines that were then transcribed and cut allowing just a hint of light to sneak out of the sides. The slightly curved and beveled top help to frame the gentle glow of the Shoji.

A hand rubbed wax finish over oil and polyurethane was applied bringing out the beautiful grain contrasts of the red oak sides and Spanish cedar top and bottom.

Material sources:
    Thrown away corrugated plastic
    A pallet
    An old bed rail
    Scrap plastic laminate
    Store bought lighting and cord

Thanks for looking,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I almost fogot about these. I reclaimed this Mahogany from an old bartop that was going to be thrown out. It was covered with laminate decades ago. Once I got the laminate and glue off, I planed through the years for bar gunk and cigarette burns to get to the good stuff. I actually shimmers. The legs are milk painted poplar and the rest is 3 coats of varnish and 2 rubbings of Mylands clear.

Gotta love free wood!
    Last edited by Dan Drager; 04-01-2007 at 11:03 PM.

Wow...that heart pine really looks wonderful! Bravo to you for putting it to good use in it's third life!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dan, those tables are gorgeous (all three). It's hard to believe someone would cover a mahogany bar with laminate. The the old saying "you can't judge a book by its cover" really was true in this case. Well, done.

Tom