Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bah! Nobody has any kerosene! Alternative cleaner?

I can't see why kerosene would be OK, but not Mineral Spirts. Maybe they say paint thinner so no one uses laquer thinner which would damage the finish and the plastic parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    I can't see why kerosene would be OK, but not Mineral Spirts. Maybe they say paint thinner so no one uses laquer thinner which would damage the finish and the plastic parts?
    I suspect you're correct, Matt. I use mineral spirits (the proverbial paint thinner) to clean off the kerosene residuals...

BTW...thanks to Robert Tarr's quick thinking, we found that wetting with Kero, waiting a few moments and then using a flat cabinet scraper removed most of the cosmoline when we were doing my slider not long ago. No damage to the cast iron, either since we were not bending the scraper like we would on wood, as it were...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use mineral spirits and have on everything in my shop. Never had any problems.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

How about Goo Gone?

No one has mentioned a product called Goo Gone. (http://www.magicamerican.com/index.aspx) ... I've used it on all my newly unpacked power tools to remove the grease from the machined surfaces. It seems to work well for me, and has a pleasant orange smell. Their website says it's availble at Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace hardware, and many other places.

I've just used the liquid, none of the sprays or gels.

Good luck (I'm so jealous of all these new lathes... I have PM3520B lust )

Danny

Danny, yes, Goo-Gone can be very helpful, but is pretty expensive for the large areas that need cleaned on a major power tool. I'd consider it for final cleanup after getting the majority of the gunk off with kero and elbow grease, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cleaning

Hello,

I have found this product at my local Ace Hardware store. It is called Goof-Off. I have found that it cleans spots that nothing else can touch. When I change my city sticker every JUne, it leaves a sticky residue on the windshield that takes forever to scrape and clean off. One swipe with Goof-Off, and it's gone. It has a bit of an odor that does not bother me, but my wife will not allow me to bring it into the house. I have also found that WD-40 + and abrasive pad work very well for cleaning and light rust removal.

Good Luck,
    Dan Heine

One word. WD-40.
    Doc Ron

Rules of Life:
    1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
    2. It's almost ALL small stuff.

Be careful with the Goof-Off. It's a strong caustic. It'll take the skin off if you're not careful. Works good for taking paint out of brushes though...

I'd use WD-40 or Diesel fuel. (WD-40 smells better - it's practically kerosene anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood
    Be careful with the Goof-Off. It's a strong caustic. It'll take the skin off if you're not careful. Works good for taking paint out of brushes though...

I'd use WD-40 or Diesel fuel. (WD-40 smells better - it's practically kerosene anyway.)
    Sort of like the genuine article TSP, versus the modern metasilicate types. Might take the paint off the tool, too.

WD 40 is much more volatile than kerosene fractions. Shows Stoddard solvent, I believe, on the MSDS. Those of us who have oil backup heat have plenty of cleaning and honing oil dripping everywhere. Which is why we can't afford new tools covered in Cosmolene.

Blog Entries
    Guys take my word for it. wax and grease remover is the only way to go.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Use Kerosene or diesel. You really want to use something that doesn't flash off quickly (like naptha, acetone, wd40, yada, yada, yada) and you want to remove the cosmoline/grease and not lubrication in bearings, so I would avoid wax and grease remover. Apply a little kerosene let it sit for a minute or two and then scrape off most of the cosmoline/grease with a scraper (painters 5 in 1 tool works good). Then wipe down with clean kerosene, and finally you can use a more volitle substance like WD40, naptha, or alcohol to clean up any residue.