Thread: SawStop Blade Elevation Noise

SawStop Blade Elevation Noise

Well, I finally got the SawStop into the basement. But I now have an unexpected problem. I was checking everything out before I assembled the table, fence, etc., and found a noise when I raise or lower the blade mechanism. It sounds like a clicking noise. So I am asking the other SawStop owners if their saw makes a noise when raising or lowering the blade mechanism. I already tried the solution in the manual, that suggests to loosen or tighten the lowering mechanism miter gear nut, but that had no effect- the noise is still there. I am pretty bummed about this, as I am thinking that it is a bearing, unless I start having people respond and tell me that it is a normal noise. But I do not recall any noise on the display model at the retailer, so I do not think this is normal. All help is appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Mine has a click..

No clicks here.

Mine does when raising not so much lowering

Mine makes a noise when I raise or lower it at normal speed. I wouldn't have called it a click, butr it may be the same noise you hear. When I slowed down to try to hear single clicks, I didn't hear anything. However, my hearing is pretty poor and I don't wear hearing aids in the shop.

Here's an update: I stopped by the distributor/retailer where I bought the saw, and spun the elevation wheel/mechanism. No noises whatsoever-Smooth as silk. Actually the smoothness of the elevation and tilt mechanisms is one of the things that stood out, when I initially looked at the saw in the store. I just wanted to make sure that I remembered correctly. I looked at the mesh between the two miter gears on my saw and everything looks okay there, so I am leaning towards a bad bearing in the elevation wheel arbor. The sales rep on hand today, at the distributor, told me to call the service department on Monday morning. I will wait until Monday to finish setup. Thanks for all of the replies. Regards, Bill

Bill, please post information as you get it. Obviously some others have a noise and others of us are planning on buying a SawStop in the near future.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Don, I will post the result. The noise is definately NOT normal. I even turned the elevation wheel on my old Craftsman contractor saw, and there are no noises in the elevation of that saw. With SawStop's reputation, I am sure they will take care of it. Wish me luck. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock
    Bill, please post information as you get it. Obviously some others have a noise and others of us are planning on buying a SawStop in the near future.