Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My take on a Frank Lloyd Wright designed desk lamp

Beautiful craftsmanship. It's amazing how a designer like Frank Lloyd Wright can inspire all of us no matter what architectural style we like. Personally I love his work and now it looks like I may have a project to add to my list (it's growing fast). Thanks for sharing your work with us.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Isn't it neat how his furniture designs reflect details of his building design. It's easy to see in this lamp. Great job on that lamp, I enjoyed it.

Ron

Wayne,

I'm a great fan of Wright's and I've been meaning to try my hand at that lamp for years. You beat me to it and did an excellent job. The one of his I've seen is a tall floor lamp. I must say, I like it better as a desk lamp. Great work and a beautiful outcome.

Hank

very nice design and execution thereof !!

I like it !!
    MARK

This lamp is just beautiful! Great job!!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Gorgeous and well executed, Wayne! I've been tempted to get the book Rob refers to, as I've seen it on our local Craigslist but, just haven't parted with the $$ yet. Seeing yours, I might just do it after all. Great job.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John,

The heck with the book, I want the lamp!!

Wayne, how much to build another one???

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hogoboom
    I won't presume to answer for Wayne, but I looked at a bunch of these on line and they go from just under a grand to about three grand - and a lot of them don't look as nice as Wayne's.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

I see there are other FLW fans out there, great to know. I've read that some think of his work as good to look at but not very functional, my view on that is; absorb and learn what you can from the fellows designs and add your own functionality. His work certainly inspires people so there is something about it that people connect with, for me I just really enjoy looking at his stuff and I dont care if its functional , some of it is more art I guess.
    Really appreciate all the nice comments, I'm glad others see something in his work.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber
    Can you tell us a bit about the construction?
    From the pictures it looks like miter joints and glue. What holds the horizontal shades in place? Is there anything to keep the moving shades from sliding all the way off with vibration?
    The box corners are mitered with a biscuit and glued, once the right jig was born it was easy. There is a small lip near the bottom of the jig which serves as a register for the corner of each side to sit on while the slot is cut. A few clamps at various places on the sliding table served as stops to prevent the bit cutting through the ends.
    The boxes are held in place on the pole by the pressure of their sides against the supports and they ride within the grooves of the side supports. It was a little tricky to get the final width of the supports to a thickness that allowed a controlled slide because you also had to allow for the urethane finish. The lamp can be shaken at an angle and they wont move but they will slide with a little pressure.
    The shades are notch into the pole which has cuts on 3 sides to accept the thinkness of the shade.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Crutchfield
    That is awesome. I have never seen that before. Mind posting a closer of pic of one of the boxes and how it attaches to the base.
    I can see a few of these in my future. I hope they turn out like yours.
    great Job!
    Hi Calvin,

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Below you can see a view of the side support, thats a single piece glued to the pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney
    Fantastic lamp,its funny(or not)how something that size can take more time to build than a entertainment center.its all in the details and it shows in this project.Lookiiiiing GOOD
    Thanks Carroll, part of the reason it took so long is that I'm still learning every step of the way. Just after beginning the project I received some new equipment and I used this project to learn how to use that equipment. Some of that time was research into the lamp and sourcing the right hardware. The next one should take half that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Knight
    Wayne,
    I'm a great fan of Wright's and I've been meaning to try my hand at that lamp for years. You beat me to it and did an excellent job. The one of his I've seen is a tall floor lamp. I must say, I like it better as a desk lamp. Great work and a beautiful outcome.
    Hank
    Thanks Hank, I'm of the same view regarding the desk lamp, the floor lamp is not only taller it has a slightly different design where the light is focused up toward the ceiling rather than downwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hogoboom
    John,
    The heck with the book, I want the lamp!!
    J.
    LOL I love my hobby too much to spoil it

WoW! That's really kewel, Wayne! Outstanding work...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wayne - that is really, really REALLY cool!!!! Outstanding execution.

That is truly beautiful work. I'm going to show it to my father in law who is celebrating his 96th birthday tomorrow. He apprenticed with Mr. Wright from 1933-1948.

Not my style but cool looking and very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Neely
    That is truly beautiful work. I'm going to show it to my father in law who is celebrating his 96th birthday tomorrow. He apprenticed with Mr. Wright from 1933-1948.
    Congratulations to your FIL, 96 is quite a milestone. I'm sure he has some interesting stories to tell about his time with FLW.