Thread: brad vs. finish nailer

brad vs. finish nailer

I have three nailers, 23g pin, 18g brad and 16g finish. My question is, what determines if one uses the 18g or 16g nailer? For example, I need to face nail face frames to a melamine carcass that is built-in. Since I wonder how well the particle board will hold nails, I will use adhesive too.
    But I have often wondered when to use the brad or the finish nailer.

Thanks
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

I have thought about exactly the same thing. I only have a stapler, 18ga brad nailer, and pin nailer.

I'm not sure, but can you fire longer nails with the 16ga finish nailer? Other than that, I've never come across a situation where I was wishing for a finish nailer. I suspect that finish carpenters are the ones with a better answer on this one...

Of course I still may buy the 16ga nailer at some point, just to add to the collection
    Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown

For woodworking you really don't need anything larger than a brad nailer

16 Gauge Nailers are capeible of shooting 2-1/2" Finish Nails which are long enough to install an interior door frame, bulild up case work, secure thick or heavy moldings. 16 Gauge nails are also thicker and tend not to bend and shoot out of the work when you are dealing with longer lengths in hard woods.

If you are only going to get one gun, get a 2" 18 gauge brad nailer. It is long enough to drive a fastner through drywall and into a stud. Though if you plan to do alot of finish carpentry, get a finish nailer.

Porter Cable makes a great package with a great pancake compressor, brad, finish, and staple nailers, a goood 40' air hose, and 1000 nails for each gun for 300.00 dollars. The compressor will drive a framing nailer with no problem as well, so you are getting a versatile compressor, with 3 great guns.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gregory
    I have three nailers, 23g pin, 18g brad and 16g finish. My question is, what determines if one uses the 18g or 16g nailer?
    I'll use the pins on trim work, when glueing corners such as crown or bed moulding. For carcass work I like the brads, and use my finish gun mostly when trimming houses.

Jim