Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floating Wood Floor In The Shop

Eric, I wouldn't go with bamboo as it dents and gouges easily. Rolling or moving stuff (or dropping things) would beat it up badly. We have it in our kitchen, and while it looks nice it is definately soft.

I was thinking the same thing. Cheapest wood floor I could find that has some real strength.

But they all are so expensive if they have any real meat to them that it just seemed too much. However, when the shop was built I had the contractor put in OSB with one face of radiant barrier on it. So I took a piece and put it on the floor, aluminum side down. That piece looked good, so I tried a full sheet. The sheet was about $9. For grins and giggles I tried wood side down first (to see if OSB was the trick) and it bowed up, as you'd expect. Then I flipped it over, and surprisingly, it has layed flat on that floor lo these past 2 months.

I think I'd still prefer the machines on the concrete to help mitigate vibration. Don't want to give them any room to move. But in between and under the mobile machines, it might be a good thing.

Now, OSB is about as pretty as a cesspool. But if I painted it, it might not be terrible. However, before I put in a bunch with the intent to paint, I'd do my test sheet first. I am afraid the OSB is picking up a litle moisture, but before it expands enough to cause a problem, the moisture propogates through the board and you don't have the bending forces anymore. Painting might screw that up.

Just my theory.

Bob A.

I just read an article in Fine Home Building (Feb/Mar'05) that recommends 1" rigid foam covered with 2 layers of 1/2" ply. I not too sure how the ply would be under the machinery. The article was about finishing basements, which is where my shop is going to be. Someday...