Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder Plane Question

Shoulder Plane Question

Quick Question from a newbie of sorts. I'm getting back in to woodworking after a 30 year hiatus and accumulating a few essential hand tools. My projects include a concentration in Arts and Crafts themed furniture, frames, etc. (Lots of mortise and tenon joinery). Cleaning up tenon shoulders and cheeks with a chisel has been hit and miss and from what I can tell, a shoulder plane is the right tool for the job.
    I've boiled it down to either a Veritas medium or Veritas large shoulder plane from LV. I suspect that the medium will take care of everything I currently need, but am unsure if I'll ever need anything larger in the future. Ordinarily I'd buy the larger version in anticipation of needing the extra width capacity in the future (and the removable nose feature), but am concerned about what concessions I might have to make when planing smaller workpieces.

Any input from those more experienced than I would be most welcome.

- Rob

Great question. I'll be looking for the replies.

Welcome back to the hobby. I thought I had been away from it a long time (over 20 years). You'll find great advice, super suport and some very friendly people here at the "Creek." I can't believe how much I've learned in the short time I've been here. Like you, I'm interested in creating various styles of Arts and Crafts furniture etc. I'm especially drawn to the work of Green and Green.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Rob, welcome to the creek. I am sure someone more experienced will chime in soon. I am also interested in the replies to this question.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Hi Rob,
    Welcome to the creek. Please feel free to ask any question you like here.
    I have a Veritas Medium shoulder plane, and really love it. I haven't tried the large. The medium does what I need it to do very well, including cleaning up tenons, rabbets, and shoulders. The quality is tops.
    Good luck.
    Ken

I would second everything Ken said about the LV medium shoulder plane. Rick

Hi,

I ended up with a large Lie-Nielsen shoulder plane. I got it as I was doing a lot of quick lap joints with a crummy dado blade and it was perfect to clean those up.

I thought it would be too bulky for smal work and got the small LV bullnose (not exactly a shoulder plane). This proved to be tougher to use. The mass of the larger plane makes for smoother cuts. With practice, and I have a ways to go, I've been able to do some delicate work with the large shoulder plane.

For me a shoulder plane is so much a matter of feel. I have owned several and now just the large one. If you have the opportunity see if you can spend a few minutes with each.

Nice thing in this day and age though. LN and possibly LV have 30 day trial periods and if not the quality of the tools makes resale feasible. Most tools by the makers yeilds about 90-100% of purchase price if not more! With this in mind the medium LV is on my short list of planes to buy. I like the idea it's only 11/16" wide and perfect for cleaning up dados.

HTH

WarrenA

Welcome to the Creek, Rob. I agree with the advice to get the LV medium shoulder plane. If, in the future, you find you need something larger consider the LN rabbet block plane instead of a larger shoulder plane.

I have the Record 073 (which I think is the same size as the LN large shoulder plane), and the LN rabbet block plane. When I need to trim the cheek of a tenon, I reach for the rabbet plane, not the shoulder plane.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have the LV med. shoulder plane. I think it is a good place to start. It is heavy for its size. It makes short work for thinning cheeks and cleaning shoulders. The way I work I would not want a bigger heavier plane to clean the shoulders that I cut YMMV. The LV med is comfortable for me to use and is sized so it cleans up 3/4" dados very well. I have no experience with any other shoulder plane so I can make no comparisons.
    Joe

LV Shoulder Plane

Happy owner of a LV medium here. I bought mine initially for tenon clean up... can't say enough good things about it. If you've ever used a chisel for this task, you will not look back. I have a couple Sorbys for paring and gentle clean ups of joints, but I don't grab them for tenon work anymore.
    Not sure who mentioned it, but I will agree that the next step for me is a rabbeting block plane for larger "stuff". I somewhat lament not having bought the rabbeting block instead of the LN 9 1/2, the LN 60 1/2 will have to be pried from dead cold fingers.
    As many will say, there is no such thing as too many planes. Once you buy one, make room for more!
    And to think, the purchase of a Delta mortise jig started all this for me anyway.....
    $0.02 for nadda.

Happy shavings & saw dust this weekend.

Shoulder planes do this job quite nicely, but there are also at least a couple of other ways. Have you tried using your chisel(s) bevel down, which helps you control grain gouging? Have you tried using rasps and/or files?

Another plane that some recommend for this is a router plane. I don't like this because it takes too long to set up and use, but it's very precise.

But what works best is getting to a more precise use of chisels and saws, to say nothing of marking gauges. First, set your mortising gauge to the thickness of the chisel, directly, mark your mortise. Then chop the mortise with that chisel, no side or end trimming after the chopping. Then, using the previous setting, use your mortising gauge to mark the tenon. Then saw the tenon just barely to the waste side of the line, sort of kiss the line gently. Using this method, with some practice, your tenons should fit your mortises perfectly on first try.

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Niedermayer; 03-16-2007 at 5:12 PM.

For what it's worth I once asked one of the people at the local Lee Valley store if they could only buy one which shoulder plane would he select. He did not hesitate for a second and said firmly the Medium one as it would be the most versatile, for large or small jobs.

Take from that what you will and welcome to Sawmill Creek.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Hello Rob,

The LV medium shoulder plane is an excellent tool. It's very versitile. I agree that a LN rabbet block plane would be an ideal compliment. With those two you could work a longer tenon with the block plane and the shoulder with the LV on its side.

I'll chime in and ditto the vote for LV medium. I love mine.

Welcome to the Creek!

Hans

Thanks for all the great feedback. I pulled the trigger on a LV Medium yesterday and am looking forward to the brown truck dropping it off next week. The rabbet block will likely be next.

30 years ago I had access to a 36" wide power planer, a huge jointer, and other basically commercial grade power tools. The hand planes were basically relics that sat in the tool cabinet untouched. I guess I never realized how useful they were until recently. Now that I'm getting back into the hobby my personal shop is shall we say, "more modestly equipped" than the previous shop I used and I'm more dependant on hand tools.

I'm a tool junkie by nature I agree with Greg's comment on never having enough planes. For me it started when I picked up an old British Stanley G12-205 Bench Plane for $10 at an antique shop and brought it back to life. Under all the filth it was basically mint. Once I got it cleaned, lapped, tuned up, and sharpened properly I got an idea how a plane should really work. I've used it for any number of jobs around the house and in the shop. The more I learn however, the more I recognize the shortcomings with respect to alignment, adjustment, blade flex, etc. It will probably be replaced with a Veritas or LN after the rabbit block plane aquisition. I have a 20 year old small low angle block plane that's the same way. It's a Stanley knockoff that works ok when you get it tweaked just right, but the good times don't last very long.

Again - Many thanks to all for the feedback and the warm welcome. I'm sure you'll see me around the forum frequently in the future.

- Rob

One added comment, Rob, about the rabbet block plane. Some people advocate using it like a regular low angle block plane - that is, not buying a 60 1/2 and using the rabbet block plane where you'd use the 60 1/2. My experience is that the rabbet block plane doesn't work as well as a regular block plane when you don't need to plane into the corner.

One is that the rabbet block is a bit harder to adjust. Second, if you're not careful, you can nick things because of the blade sticking out the side just a bit. And one of the things you can nick is yourself.

Anyway, that's my experience. I bought the rabbet block plane first but later decided to also get the LN low angle. Your mileage may vary.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.