Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Looking for "varmint" shooter.

Hmmm...I find that a 12-gauge with 2-3/4" non-magnum shells in 7-1/2 or even 6 shot don't have a whole lot of recoil, particularly not with the 28" vent-rib and full modified(I think...don't recall) choke on my 870 Express Magnum. Now, slap in some 3" magnum deer slugs... Ten years ago I paid $300 new for that with the extra slug barrel (smoothbore). Gunbroker.com is definitely a good place to check.

John, if you go the used route, a semi-auto 12er might be worth a look--the semi-auto action mitigates the recoil somewhat. But it would still be more than a 20-gauge.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Crowbusters.com

check out crowbusters.com.....pretty cool site w/ lots of good info.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Why not use a pellet gun? Europeans regularly hunt birds with them. One advantage is they won't scare (or alert!) the neighbors. Another is that the projectile doesn't carry as far as a .22, so you don't have to worry about what is beyond the horizon.
    As an interesting aside, Navy SEALS are using pellet guns in Iraq to take on snipers. The reason is they don't reveal their position when fired. Your budget will not allow you one of those models, though.
    If crows are so smart, seeing just one of their brethren croaking on the ground may get the word out.
    Joe

Here's a good one Joe, according to Crowbusters, you can use your dead crows to augment your decoy spread....they must not be that smart.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

5. I agree a 10-22 Ruger with a reasonable scope is a good gun for the longer distances. For shorter ranges a good 410 shotgun would be a better choice particular for the neighboring farms. A 22 slug can be dangerous up to a mile while the shot from a shotgun won't have much potential for danger when fired up in the air. Just an old timer who remembers when every kid around had a 22 by the time he and sometimes she was 12 and often put meat on the table a couple times or more per week. Different world and a hell of a lot more fun to live in.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

So John, confused enough already???

We'll all waiting to see what ya do....

btw I have to put in for vacation, what week is the gathering gonna be and can I bring a few friends?....

Al....who thinks a Creeker gathering/crow shoot would probably be a first.
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.