Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for "varmint" shooter.

Looking for "varmint" shooter.

Sheesh...How much more "off topic" can you get, heh? Anyhow, the LOML is getting just a bit more than annoyed with all the crows hanging around here (we're out in the country, BTW) and asked if there was a way I could "take care of them". Back in "the day", I was pretty handy with a 22 rifle but, that was like eons ago. Pretty much out of the loop for many years. So, here's my dilemma: Will a 22 be the best way to go? Smaller maybe? Don't really want to go the shotgun route, as I might as well use the thing for a little target shooting, too. Any recommendations from the masses here for a decent 22 & scope. I'm NOT looking for competition quality. Something good out to 50 or 70 yards or so. Oh, and most importantly, NOT expensive. I'm figuring I'd like to cover this with 200 to $250 outlay, max. Not opposed to used, either. I know there are a bazillion shooting forums out there but, I've kinda' come to trust what my friends here at the Creek have to offer on various subjects. Any takers??? Thanks, folks!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

John, I'll take my 20,000th post at SMC to be a "friend of the birds" and mention that you should check on whether you can legally shoot the crows. They are not game birds, or invasive non-native species and I believe that native species may be protected. Can't have them as pets, either...sadly as they are very intelligent animals. Crows have been show to be tool users, too...something that only recently was recognized in primates.

Maybe you can find a way to scare them off without killing them?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    John, I'll take my 20,000th post at SMC to be a "friend of the birds" and mention that you should check on whether you can legally shoot the crows. They are not game birds, or invasive non-native species and I believe that native species may be protected. Can't have them as pets, either...sadly as they are very intelligent animals. Crows have been show to be tool users, too...something that only recently was recognized in primates.

Jim,
    Congratulations on your 20,000th post. That is truly amazing. The help you have given the folks out here is equally amazing. Thank you very much and may you make 40,000 in the next few years.
    David B

4. I know here in NC crows are "in sesson" year around, so you might need to get a state hunting license...crows can be extremly aggravating, especially in large quantities! Check your local pawn shop/ gun store I'm sure several people have traded one in to help pay those holiday credit card bills...best of luck w/ those "varmints"

John,

I don't eat crow.

Read this.....

http://www.pestproducts.com/crows.htm

Yep, I may be a gun owning liberal redneck, but rules are rules.

You kill it you eat it. Unless it can pick a lock.

With that said... get a ruger 10-22

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

... Can't have them as pets, either...sadly as they are very intelligent animals. Crows have been show to be tool users, too...something that only recently was recognized in primates.
    VERY smart. When I was a kid a friend of the family who owned a small farm adopted one they found fallen out of a nest after a storm and raised it. The thing would fly to the back door and pull on a little bell they had hung up whenever it wanted to go outside. An hour or so later, he'd be back at the door ringing an identical outside bell to be let back in. He'd sit for hours on the guys shoulder while he watched TV or read the paper. And it had very strong opinions on what sort of music he liked. Put the wrong thing on and he'd squawk like crazy until you changed it to something he liked. I dont recall if they had any cats or not, but the thing was best buddies with their St.Bernard. Normally us kids would be dragged kicking and screaming to go on visits where the folks didn't have any kids to play with, but we were always game to go there because of the crow.

BTW Happy 20000th!
    Use the fence Luke

What about the 40 or so buzzards that roost in the trees around us? Walk outside at night and scare one into flight out of the top of the pecan tree on our back patio, and you go running for cover!! Very erie! Actually, for the last 2 or 3 days, I don't remember seeing them around....Hmmmm. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

First off, a BIG congrats to your 20K posts! Loads of info, laughs and interaction coming out our way throughout those posts. Thank you! Hope to be around and see the next 20K, though I don't think it will take all that long!

Yeah, I still need to check on the DNR stance regarding this whole scenario. Even if I choose not to use it for the crows, some target plinking would be a nice and cheap diversion from time to time.

I have looked into some of the alternative methods using ultrasonic stuff and other "scare away" types of decoys and such. Unfortunately, the bulk of those will also scare away the birds we enjoy having around and feed year-round. It really has gotten to the point where I'm not sure that anything but a well placed round will rid us of them!

Trust me, I'm not into killing for the sake of killing. I had gotten rid of any and all firearms when our oldest was born 22 years ago! If someone has used alternative methods, which affect only crow or pigeon populace, while not scaring off the rest of the smaller birds, I'm entirely open to such recommendations!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

CZ 22.

I bought one of these a few years ago, Very good quality.

Since you are wanting to buy a .22, you won't need an expensive Scope.

No recoil.

I bought mine with a Bulls barrel, which is ok but if I had to do it over I would go with a regular barrel.

Remington used to make a really great and pretty .22 , but I think they discontinued it. Ruger is good. If you want inexpensive H&R. will do nicely as well

Now, a Shot gun is great for target practice.... Clay BIRDS are lot of fun!

However, they taste awful

good quality o/u shotgun at a low price Bakail, russian made.

My personal favorite shotgun mfr'r is still Beretta. Still love my original 390ST.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard
    VERY smart. When I was a kid a friend of the family who owned a small farm adopted one they found fallen out of a nest after a storm and raised it. The thing would fly to the back door and pull on a little bell they had hung up whenever it wanted to go outside. An hour or so later, he'd be back at the door ringing an identical outside bell to be let back in. He'd sit for hours on the guys shoulder while he watched TV or read the paper. And it had very strong opinions on what sort of music he liked. Put the wrong thing on and he'd squawk like crazy until you changed it to something he liked. I dont recall if they had any cats or not, but the thing was best buddies with their St.Bernard. Normally us kids would be dragged kicking and screaming to go on visits where the folks didn't have any kids to play with, but we were always game to go there because of the crow.

BTW Happy 20000th!
    Yes, I've heard and read many stories like this. Crows can actually talk if they have some minor surgery on their throats.

And thanks...20K gum-flappings mark on my half-century anniversary. What's not to like about that! (Wish I was home to celebrate with the family, but I'm not... )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux
    CZ 22.

I bought one of these a few years ago, Very good quality.

Since you are wanting to buy a .22, you won't need an expensive Scope.

No recoil.

I bought mine with a Bulls barrel, which is ok but if I had to do it over I would go with a regular barrel.

Remington used to make a really great and pretty .22 , but I think they discontinued it. Ruger is good. If you want inexpensive H&R. will do nicely as well

Now, a Shot gun is great for target practice.... Clay BIRDS are lot of fun!

However, they taste awful

good quality o/u shotgun at a low price Bakail, russian made.

My personal favorite shotgun mfr'r is still Beretta. Still love my original 390ST.

Joe
    Thanks, Joe. Yeah, I've heard/read many good things about the CZ 452. Great shooter, reliable and accurate. Quite a few guys like the Marlins and even the entry level Savages. Haven't looked into the Beretta's, though if I recall correctly, pricing might keep that out of my grasp. Seems like many of the places around seem to embrace the 10/22, as well. That's what I used to have, as it would happen. Nice rifle, though I didn't have a scope mounted on it. If I do end up getting something, I think a scope will be a requirement, especially for my aging eye sight! Anyhow, thanks much for the input! Might have to lay hands on a CZ and see what it's like.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Thanks, Joe. Yeah, I've heard/read many good things about the CZ 452. Great shooter, reliable and accurate. Quite a few guys like the Marlins and even the entry level Savages. Haven't looked into the Beretta's, though if I recall correctly, pricing might keep that out of my grasp. Seems like many of the places around seem to embrace the 10/22, as well. That's what I used to have, as it would happen. Nice rifle, though I didn't have a scope mounted on it. If I do end up getting something, I think a scope will be a requirement, especially for my aging eye sight! Anyhow, thanks much for the input! Might have to lay hands on a CZ and see what it's like.
    You will like the CZ 452. I have a 3x9 Tasco Scope on it. The Tasco is all you need. I can't see spending several hundred dollars on a better scope for a .22

Now, if you were talking larger rifles, then a better quality scope would be prudent.

Good Luck
    Joe

OH and BTW,,, your first sentence in the orginal post, suggests being off-topic.... not at all.... remember the stock and forearm are made of Wood!

Also, a bit off topic but interesting. My Sister's FIL, retired from Olin Corp back in the early '90's, as ex VP.

A few years ago, he sold me a Winchester .243, which was part of a collection of four guns he had made.

He had the Pres, of U.S. repeating arms select the wood for these four rifles. I think that is pretty cool.

One of his gun cabinets is made from a walnut tree, felled at NILO. That is a pretty case.

My step father plunks them all the time with hisBaikal IZH-194. It's perfect for it, combination .22 and .410, so you can target shoot and get rid of the flying rats with the same gun. As I recall it was only about $200.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Hi John,

It is hard to beat a 10/22 for price, reliability and just plain FUN. Ruger makes a great product and it has more accessories made for it than anyother firearm! Everything from stuff to make it a high performance target gun to a skeleton folding stock backpacker. You may be able to find one used but they are not overly expensive new.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery