Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A warm shop

John I think the big difference is in the fact your friend had wood heat & not LP. Wood heat is dry compared to LP. Dad always heated his uninsulated shop with wood & waxed his surfaces to keep them slick & easier to work with. There was never a thought of waxing to keep rust away. He never had any rust & doesn't to this day. In the rainy North West, south west Washington state.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Woodies,
    I am fortunate (or not) to have a shop in the basement at this time. A free standing Garage MaHall/shop is in my near future.
    Is heating the shop only part time (especially in the frozen tundra) a major source of condensation??? I can see tools and lumber constantly riding a roller coaster of moisture.
    Your experiences please
    Tyler

Tom, I heat my shop with a propane gas heater. It's true when the heater heats up the shop it creates a lot of condensation. When I first started using the heater my table saw and bandsaw and jointer started getting surface rust. I cleaned evrerything up and purchased some HTC Machine Covers from Woodcraft. The covers come in Small to Jumbo and since I started putting paste wax on the tools surfaces and using the covers i have had no rust problems. The problem is the covers are not that cheap but they are very good covers. I leave each tool covered and only uncover when I need to use it. I do this all year round. The perfect solution would be to get the Sterling or Hot Dawg but if you cannot then the covers really do help keep the rtust away.
    Life Sure Is Great! Enjoy It.