Thread: finishing Cherry w/Shellac

finishing Cherry w/Shellac

I am finishing a cherry cabinet, I just tried Zinsser's canned amber shellac, I used a 2# cut. It is way to orange for my taste, robbing the cherry of it's natural beauty. Would a blond shellac be recommended for a more natural
    color ? I think I am going to try using shellac flakes this time around.

What would you recommend, knowing I want just the natural color of the cherry ?

Howie

Howie......Have you tried Zinser's Sealcoat? It's a dewaxed shellac. While I've not used it on cherry, I've used it on a lot of other woods and haven't noticed it changing the color of the original wood.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'd echo Kens suggestion of using the Sealcoat. It's either a blonde or superblonde shellac and beats having to mix up flakes. Keep in mind that the cherry is going to darken over time anyway. The tables on these two were BLO, then superblonde shellac (flakes), then wipe-on poly. I couldn't really tell any difference in the color after putting the shellac over the BLO (or the poly either for that matter) but I'm sure there's at least some ambering. Most of the color on these is from the BLO. They've both darkened up a tiny bit more but are essentially the same color. Neither is exposed to direct sunlight coming through windows otherwise I'm sure they'd be quite a bit darker now.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15882
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15693
    Use the fence Luke

A good combo that has worked for me on cherry is BLO followed by GARNET dewaxed shellac (more brown tone). Pretty natural look.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa
    A good combo that has worked for me on cherry is BLO followed by GARNET dewaxed shellac (more brown tone). Pretty natural look.
    I leave out the BLO, and just use the garnet shellac. It 'pops the grain' quite well by itself.

I am curious what the coloring difference would be between Zinsser's Sealcoat and GARNET dewaxed shellac. I am happy with the natural coloring of cherry with BLO alone, I am just looking for more protection.

Howie

There are a few different shellacs that look good. My favorites are in descending order are;

Kusmi I
    Kusmi II
    Garnet first coat, Kusmi I or Orange second coat
    Orange (one coat)

For the finish coats I use a blonde or lemmon (slightly yellow) shellac. I will often add a wee bit of Transtint Med-Brown or Red-Brown dye to the base coats of shellac, warms it up nicely depending on the particular piece of cherry. As for using a coat of BLO first, I like to use a mixture of BLO:TungOil:Turpentine in the mixture of 1:1:3 to 1:1:9 . Just apply a fairly thin coat, wipe off, and let dry for a day.

I obtained a nice natural finish on some tables I just completed. I got my recommendation from homestead finishes (the man)...

It was really simple. I used a dark garnet dewaxed shellac (flakes). Before using the shellac, I wiped the entire surface with distilled water and sanded slightly after dry. I then applied the shellac. After several coats (didn't change the color too much, just added some consistancy across the wood), I applied some coats of brush on varnish. The table has a nice color and is darkening more each week. The finish looks several inches deep and is a mirror like finish.

The whole process was rather simple. In the end, all that matters is what you like (or in my case, my wife!).

I did a set of bookcases where the only finish on the cherry was garnet shellac. Looks just like it has aged a few years. I have also used garnet shellac followed by a gel stain for when my wife wanted it darker. I never put anything on cherry before the first coat of shellac.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie French
    I am curious what the coloring difference would be between Zinsser's Sealcoat and GARNET dewaxed shellac. I am happy with the natural coloring of cherry with BLO alone, I am just looking for more protection.

Howie
    Garnett would be a darker (brownish) tone compared to SealCoat.
    Jerry

forgive me for the newbie question, but what exactly is BLO?

Mark, BLO is "Boiled Linseed Oil"...which is actually not "boiled". Rather, it has metalic driers added so it will cure in a reasonably short period of time. Available at the 'borg in quarts and gallons for not a lot of money. It's a staple in my shop finishing cabinet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

thanks everyone for your responses.
    I decided to try Sealcoat, however everyone was out of it, so I went with Zinsser's clear shellac. After a few hours of scraping and sanding to remove the amber shellac, I lightly applied blo, then today I started applying the clear shellac. It was alot of work but worth it, now the cherry looks like cherry.

I am going to try a Garnet de-waxed shellac on a future project.

Howie