Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walnut Cedar Chest

Mike, outstanding work. Thanks for sharing.

I think Mike will no longer fit through any of the door of his house with this kind of ego massaging!

So with that: "Mike, those chests stink! Can you say "Putty-ville?"

Chris

P.S. I hope I can do as 'poor' a job...in 10 or 15 or 20 or 25 years...or never!

Wowsers!!! Really nice work and I LIKE the plan!!

Now about the statment, a 'Walnut' 'Cedar' chest just sounds orta funny

Thanks for sharing.
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

Mike, thanks for the cherry version too! Now we have something to really compare. I haven't taken the time to check out details. Is this the same pattern as your walnut chest?

David

Mike

That's a real fine job ... walnut looks great and really like the drawer base.

I'm just finishing up a cherry blanket chest ..... after seeing yours ... doubt that I'd have the nerve to post mine.

That is outstanding. Kinda makes me worder if I will ever get to that quality of work. It is inspiring none the less.

wow !!

I WOULD SAY, 'WOW' BUT THAT'S ALREADY TAKEN

So I'll add

STUPENDOUS !!
    MARK

I have another adjective for you

GORGEOUS

Mike, What can I say that has not been said. You are setting the bar to high for us beginners. In my humble opinion that is beyond words.
    Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Looks great!

Another post that I hope SYMBO doesn't see. The project list is too long, way too long.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Ken, and Jeff, I look at the work of several of these guys as goals for my own. My design may not be as sound, my fit as good, or my finish as durable and smooth. But hey! about 4 years ago I had a bottle of Elmer's glue sitting on the shelf that was purchased 30 years ago. Literally. And that was the only wood glue (other than epoxy that I use in my business) that I owned. If I wanted to build something with wood, I broke out the claw hammer and nails. If it got a coat of paint, that was good. If the edges didn't hurt someone so much the better. When I notice that something I build is not quite "up to snuff" I look at how far I've come in 3+ years. And I look at the friends I've made while trying to learn this craft.

Post away! Most of the folks who post here are very complimentary. I am still a little nervous about asking for a critique on what I build, but posting is encouraging. I will be glad when I get that confident. I need a lot of help! And that is why many of us are here. Come to think of it, most of the ones here who are real craftsmen come up with questions from time to time. It's a great bunch of folks and a good place to receive knowledge and encouragement.

David

Mike, that is a real nice chest. Thanks for posting. Todd.

Exceptional quality
    Hi Mike,

Thank you for sharing the pictures of your work. I agree with your comments about masonite. There is no place for it in this heirloom piece. Thanks for adding the details of construction and finish.

Dave Smith

And I thought I was a wood worker in Longview, WA.
    "Every man is as heaven made him and sometimes a great deal worse."
    Cervantes

Quote Originally Posted by David Rose
    Mike, thanks for the cherry version too! Now we have something to really compare. I haven't taken the time to check out details. Is this the same pattern as your walnut chest?

David

Yes, it is the same plan David. Good luck with it.