Thread: Clamps, Clamps, and more Clamps - HELP!

Clamps, Clamps, and more Clamps - HELP!

I need help in choosing which f-style clamps to purchase. I already have more K-body and cabinetmaster's than I can justify, but I have been planning to purhase some f-style clamps and now I have two great deals to choose from.

Behind door #1 I have the Jet clamps currently on sale at Rockler.
    LINKY
    - (2) 24" clamps
    - (2) 12" clamps
    - free shipping
    - all for only $19.99

Behind door #2 I have the Columbian clamps on sale at Woodcraft tomorrow.
    LINKY
    - (2) 18" clamps
    - (2) 12" clamps
    - (2) 8" clamps
    - (2) 4" clamps
    - spring clamps which I have no use for because I alreay have 1,001 of them
    - on sale tomorrow for $14.99 plus tax

Which would you purchase based on quality versus price? I mainly need the larger clamps 12" and greater.

Thanks,
    Eric

Blog Entries
    The Jet clamps at Rockler are equivalent to Jorgensen's light duty clamps. The larger Colombians are like Jorgie's medium duty clamps and the smaller are like the light duty versions. I have some of the Columbian style spring clamps and never use them favoring the 2: metal jobs that you can get at the BORG for a buck apiece. For larger spring clamps I use the HF 4" selected carefully.

The differences here are bar size. The light duty bar size come in handy for me. I have some Jorgie 4" and also some Bessy mighty-minis in 4" which are about the same without the clutch plates.

Anything longer than a 12" or so in the light duty get pretty springy under anything over a light pressure. I have medium duty in 18" and use them for quite a bit. For anything longer I use some heavy duty Jorgies or K-bodys.

So, after all that I would go with the Colombians even though you may never use the spring clamps. The Jets are too lightweight for their length for me. Your clamping needs may vary.

P.s. I learned awhile back that when there is a good price on clamps, buy double. In the past when I haven't I kick myself.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The Sumo-grip handle on the Jets are no good IMHO. I recently bought 10 Jet clamps because they were laying on a clearance table at the lumber yard I frequent. Luckily they didn't have more because I purposely bought all they had. So far 2 of the clamps are worthless because the grip just spins on the handle. They can't be tightened.

This is taking you out of the price range of the clamp sets you mentioned, but since you've already laid out good money for your Bessey/Jorgensen clamps, I'm going to assume you wouldn't mind paying extra for quality.

Take a look at Wetzler quick clamps. They are about $20-25 apiece in the 12-24" range, but they are built to last forever and function great. They will probably outlast your Besseys and Jorgensens.

As far as how they function -- Wetzlers are to regular F-clamps what Lie-Nielsen planes are to Anants.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Novak
    The Sumo-grip handle on the Jets are no good IMHO. I recently bought 10 Jet clamps because they were laying on a clearance table at the lumber yard I frequent. Luckily they didn't have more because I purposely bought all they had. So far 2 of the clamps are worthless because the grip just spins on the handle. They can't be tightened.
    Dave - I wonder if you got some lemons there. I must have at least 50 Columbian and Jet F-style clamps and have not had problem one. As a matter of fact, I find the Sumo Grip to be far easier to get really tight. Today, I just bought 6 of Jet's new parellel clamps - I chose these greatly due to the presence of the Sumo Grip.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I have an assortment of F-clamps from Bessey and Jorgensen. I recently snacked-up a set of the Columbian clamps from Woodcraft during a sale last December. I was so impressed with them, I ordered two more sets.

I find all three brands pretty good. I think it's just a matter of price now. No brand loyalty for me.

cheers, Jeff

Eric,

Is there a code for free shipping with Rockler? Looks like a good deal on the jet clamps.

Thanks
    Jonathan

I also bought the Colunbian set in Dec. I like them well enough. The Rockler deal looks good too. But have never used these.