Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oneway Live Center vs. Nova Live Center?

Oneway Live Center vs. Nova Live Center?

I'm looking to upgrade my stock lathe live center and would like to hear from owners of the Oneway and Nova live centers. What are some of your opinons, is one better than the other etc? Does anyone own both? I'm leaning towards the Oneway but I've seen some good prices on the Nova center. What I'm leary about on the Nova is the insert tips and how well do they fit, wobble, run-out etc. I've tried the Woodcraft brand live center with interchangeable tips and was not impressed and returned it. I don't have any places to shop and comare around here so the purchase must be made online. I've searched the forums but haven't found any direct comparisons to each other.
    -Thanks

I have the Nova, Oneway and Sorby revolving stebcenters. Both Nova and Oneway run true. I like the Nova better because it is more versatile. It is easier to attach a non-marring custom cone for reverse turning. You can do that with the Oneway, but you have to tap a 3/4" X 10 TPI thread on your wood blank. The Sorbys do not run true; but I use them for off-center turning. It is not critical.

The cone on the Sorby system is too small to be useful. The cone on the Nova is an optional accessory. The cone and 60º point on the Oneway are aluminum; they are soft. The tip on the Oneway is also removable. Both are high quality products; I have no problem with any of the points (from Oneway and Nova) not seating true.

To be honest, it is a coin toss. Both have very good track record. I think you will be happy with either one.

Gordon

I have the oneway and it is great. Hartville Tool has them on sale for 20% off. Have no experience with the Nova.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

My NOVA runs true. Or did until I dropped it on its nose, after which I had to do some fettling to get the dent out. Good at what I use it for, and especially for the ease of installing disks and cones for oddball shapes. I use regular bolts rather than the hanger bolts for my work.

Thanks Gordon its great to hear from someone that owns both. I would like to buy both but I am blessed as it is to be able to buy just one. This vortex thing is getting rather costly with little results thus far.

Woodchips seems to have a good deal on the Nova (NLC) but that Oneway (OLC) deal at Hartville is sounding good. From the searching I've done it seems there are more posts, reviews etc mentioned for the OLC. Maybe the OLC owners are just more vocal . My worries for the Nova though are still those slip in tips how firm laterally they are and how easy they fall out etc vs. the screw on accessories of the OLC. I did finally find a NLC review at More Woodturner magazine that describes the NLC pretty well and I understand the tips are short MT#2 so I would hope they are accurate as some of you have mentioned.

Thanks everyone for the replies thus far... keep em coming.

I have the oneway and love it. It has definately made my life a little easier.
    No experience with the nova.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Anders
    Woodchips seems to have a good deal on the Nova (NLC) but that Oneway (OLC) deal at Hartville is sounding good. From the searching I've done it seems there are more posts, reviews etc mentioned for the OLC. Maybe the OLC owners are just more vocal . My worries for the Nova though are still those slip in tips how firm laterally they are and how easy they fall out etc vs. the screw on accessories of the OLC. I did finally find a NLC review at More Woodturner magazine that describes the NLC pretty well and I understand the tips are short MT#2 so I would hope they are accurate as some of you have mentioned.
    Jason,

You are right about the Oneway fans. Wait till you say something about their chucks. No doubt, the OLC is more popular.

The Nova accessories won't fall out or mis-align. You need to use the short knock-out bar that came with the system to remove the tips. Both Oneway and Nova have excellent service. I won't trade one for the other.

Its your money. Can't help you decide.

Gordon

Not to worry Jason. The same taper that holds the center to your lathe holds the insert to the center. That's how things center, as well. If you bend the leading edge of the nose you have a bit of work on your hands to move the metal out of the way, but a #2 reamer will clean up your handiwork.

Has anyone thought of using a metal working live center set? Are the angles wrong for wood? I can live with 2000 rpms max since I don't turn many pens. I've been looking at this LC set that costs $53.95 (even though it shows $61.66) from Enco...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...MITEM=251-3020

Any thoughts?

Dick

I don't think much of the idea. The cup center is so much more secure for woodworking than a simple point, which can slide along the weak earlywood with a minor catch. Of course, if you don't catch, it's just a center you have to keep snugging that can run to the side with each tightening. Still not worth it.

Geroge,
    There is a cup center included... (see the middle item along the bottom).

Thanks in advance,
    Dick

That one looks similar to the other cheap import multi-tip live centers. I've tried the Woodcraft model and it was loose and sloppy, sent it back. For an extra $30-$40 I will stick with choosing either the Oneway or the Nova... just can't decide which one yet. Hedging towards the Nova after reading the review from More Woodturning mag.

This topic is pretty similar to the "which chuck" topic. No one ever posts complaints about the high end chucks like oneway and nova. Some people have great luck with the cheaper ones and some don't. And then there's the cheapest that usually draw nothing but complaints. I think you'll find the live centers to be about the same and you'll never wish you would have spent a little less money and bought a cheaper center.

I have the Nova and am very happy with it. I also have a SuperNova2 and a Nova Titian both good chucks that sever me well so far.
    I think the has three berings.

Do a youtube search for Mike Peace's channel and search for his review on the Nova tlive center system he did a nice job demo. it good luck with your search.

Don't do like I do and drive myself crazy looking for the very best of whatever it is I am planning to buy.

Can't help with comparison, but I have the Nova set. The first one I got, it seemed the smallest point wasn't rock solid. I called them, and they immediately sent out an entire new set. I asked if they were sending an RMA, and "nope, keep it for extra parts." I got the new set in just a few days, and it's been great. To summarize: great customer service.