Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimax MM20 and Laguna LT20 Owners

Minimax MM20 and Laguna LT20 Owners

I have narrowed my bandsaw search to these 2 saws. I know that odds are I will be happy with either saw just want to be sure.

Looking for owners of the LT20 and MM20 to talk about what they like. What they don't like. What they would do if they were going to buy again. Anyone had the chance to use both? Any info will help. Thanks
    Adam

Picture below shows yours-truly using the MM20 for the first time (notice no dust collection hooked up and the ear protection around my neck uninstalled . . . just too excited to wait to hook everything up!). I have no other saw to compare the MM20 too, but have been very happy with the performance and quality of the machine. It has the feel of an industrial machine, so don't expect the fit-and-finish to go with your kitchen appliances. This is designed to be a workhorse, not a beauty queen. Notice also the Zambus casters I installed on the base. It makes it a dream to move around in the shop. The base is predrilled to take the standard mounting bolts provided with the Zambus casters. Install takes about 30 minutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a MM20. You can not beat the service from the people at MM. OTOH, I liked the ceramic guides that were on the Laguna. Laguna sells the ceramic guides to fit the MM which I purchased. I think I have the best of both worlds.

Richard

yes Adam,
    I.m sure that you will be happy with ethier machine. I have the Laguna LT20 and wouldn't be without it.

It is a very solid machine with many valued options (ceramic guides, awesome resaw height,baldor motor, )

I do wish that it had another dust port along the bottom set of guides as some of the others do .

Not many things to dislike about ethier saw...........

Good luck

Tom
    bandsaw.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Cowie; 02-25-2007 at 2:06 PM.

Love the pictures guys! Keep the talk coming as I wan't to feel that I am making the best choice for me. Anyone use these at resaw over 16". What is it like?

Jeff- Can you eleborate on the fit/ finish comment. Got picks?
    Adam

I used to have a laguna 24" until I got my big saw. the 24 was a very nice machine in my opinion. I have see the mm 24 and it is a heavier machine than the laguna saw was. The mm frame is definitly thicker than the laguna. But as you say, either one will be quite nice.

lou

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Grills
    Jeff- Can you eleborate on the fit/ finish comment.
    I did not mean that the machine is poorly finished, rather it has a massive and heavy look to it. It is built for 'business.'

Thanks Jeff That is the ansawer I was hoping for.
    Adam

Bansaw

I have a MM20 and really like it. There customer service is tops. I have no personal experience with Laguna so can't say.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright
    Picture below shows yours-truly using the MM20 for the first time
    Note to folks in the frozen North: Jeff is wearing the standard Florida February woodworking costume - shorts and a t-shirt. Not to rub it in or anything.

Note to Jeff: you better be thinking about some insulation for your gar...er, studio. Summer is coming.
    Regards,
    Dick

Ya,
    Does heat come with the MM20. I am up here in the Great White North (Canada). My shop is currently -10F. Maybe they would supply the shorts and a plam tree shirt
    Adam

Picture below shows yours-truly using the MM20 for the first time (notice no dust collection hooked up and the ear protection around my neck uninstalled . . . just too excited to wait to hook everything up!). I have no other saw to compare the MM20 too, but have been very happy with the performance and quality of the machine. It has the feel of an industrial machine, so don't expect the fit-and-finish to go with your kitchen appliances. This is designed to be a workhorse, not a beauty queen. Notice also the Zambus casters I installed on the base. It makes it a dream to move around in the shop. The base is predrilled to take the standard mounting bolts provided with the Zambus casters. Install takes about 30 minutes.
    Hi Jeff, I haven't been around for awhile, but I noticed the picture and couldn't help but comment. Does your wife let you wander the neighborhood like that.
    Seriously, you look well. I told you that those Zambus casters would be great.
    take care,
    John

Picture below shows yours-truly using the MM20 for the first time ...
    Jeff, that thing looks like it would eat my MM16 for lunch!

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by John Renzetti

Hi Jeff, I haven't been around for awhile, but I noticed the picture and couldn't help but comment. Does your wife let you wander the neighborhood like that.
    Yes, she does, but only AFTER dark!

If you're going to be doing resaw work, I've become a big believer in carbide-toothed bandsaw blades. The Resaw King on my LT16 leaves a finish on bandsawn veneer which is good enough to use for the glue surface. It also is a nice thin kerf (40 thou) which maximizes the wood. And, although it is expensive to buy, it is less expensive than conventional blades in the long run because of its long life.