Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Weekend's Turnings

This Weekend's Turnings

I did a bit of turning this weekend as my other activities in the shop left plenty of time to stand in front of the lathe. This was a really enjoyable time! To top it off, the wild turkeys were chowing down right outside the shop so I could watch them while I waited for finish to...well...finish. The theme, for the most part, is bowls which is somewhat unusual for me...I normally concentrate on hollow vessels. But I was in the mood for functional pieces this time around. (Except for one as noted below)

Speaking of which, three of these turnings were finished with a new shellac product that Zinsser is supposedly bringing out...they gave me a sample bottle at the woodworking show and I have to say I'm impressed. It wipes on easy and after a short wait you buff it with a soft towel to a shine. I found that about three thin applications worked out beautifully. Unlike Myland's Friction Finish, this product is clear and didn't give me problems with build-up on the larger items. I'll be contacting the rep to find out more details and will pass them on when I have them. I believe I'll be using this stuff quite a bit on turnings, although I still need to see if it will stand up to buffing.

The Turnings:

1) This small cedar bowl, measuring 4" in diameter and 2" tall was fun to turn. It was also the first item I tried the Zinsser finish on after sanding through 600 grit. The finish is like glass and the color was not affected like the oil I normally used would have done. The piece was too tiny for my smallest vacuum chuck bell, so the bottom was finished off using a jam-chuck reversing technique.

2) This 9" box elder bowl pushed the limit on my OneWay 1018 for diameter as the blank was just a hair under 10" when I started. I believe the wood came from the 5-Barns Picnic this summer, but honestly, I forgot to mark it. Sadly, there is a bit of checking between growth rings in this piece and it would not be salable if I were into that kind of thing. The color is outstanding and again, the Zinsser finish left the white wood white and the red bright and clear. The shape goes along with the functional theme for the week.

3) This 8" cherry bowl was made from a hunk of wood I got from Bill Grumbine back in the summer of 2002 and it was a pleasure to turn. The top rim is slightly back-cut. The finish is oil and this piece has not yet been buffed out...due to the cold in my shop, it still needs to cure a little more and is now in the house. Again, the theme is functional.

4) This is a very special piece. As many folks know, the first anniversary of Palmer Sharpless's passing just occurred and a number of his rough turnings were distributed throughout the turning community. This piece was made from a rough ash blank that Palmer put on his shelf back in October of 2001. He was well known for "functional turnings" and this is no exception...I hope I captured what he might have done with the same piece of wood had he lived to complete it. I did take the liberty of applying color to the platter via dye prior to application of the Zinsser finish I was testing. This item, because of its open grain required more thin coats, but still came out great.

5) The last piece is the one "deviant" from "functional". I've had a bunch of chunks of mountain laurel root on the shelf for a few years and the blank for this turning always intrigued me...it was where two roots twisted together. Due to it's nature, the entire process had to be done between centers so a weed pot was chosen. The shape somewhat reflected the contour of the original root. Since I could not hold it in a chuck safely, a small tenon remaining on the bottom was sanded off before the hole was drilled on the DP. This piece will has an oil finish that will be buffed after it's cured.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very beautiful work. I really like the box elder with the red flames. I really need to find some box elder.
    Ahh, the days of turkeys walking across your back yard.
    Thanks for sharing.

Jim, beautiful work. Especially like the laurel root.

Be well,

Doc

One notch higher on the bar?

Nice stuff Jim. The Cedar and Box Elder are really nice! The Laurel Root looked to be a challenge, but it turned out really cool. Nice finish also, I will be keeping my eyes open for that new product, looks like it does the job nicely. Thanks for sharing the work Jim, nice weekend, I'd say!

Cool

Only one question, Jim: Do you *ever* sleep?! Or do you just have extra energy stored up in that pony tail of yours? Oh, that was two questions, wasn't it? At any rate, wonderful work! Like Julie said, I need to get my mitts on some Elder. The root is fantastic and, of course, the Sharpless inspired piece is priceless. Yup, you certainly do keep raising the bar. Very, very nice on all of them!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Only one question, Jim: Do you *ever* sleep?!
    Yea...too much. One could say that I'm not a "morning person" and get started far too late in the day way too often. I need to fix that one of these days, but LOML is similarly inclined. I will admit that I was actually in the shop until after 11p on Saturday night working on that box elder piece. I wanted to get it completely cut and stablized as I was really concerned with the checking I mentioned.

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments. They are appreciated.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Jim,
    Great looking bowls and great photos. Thanks for posting them.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I like them all!

Wonderful display there Jim. They are all gorgeous! The box elder is way cool - I need to get some of mine turned. You certainly are raising the bar & inspiring the rest of us with output like that.

BTW: Julie- since I hate winter & it felt like about 10 below leaving Church today & my driveway is a sheet of ice & the fact that Charleston is my favorite place in the whole world . . .
    Maybe I could convince LOML that I have an emergency delivery of one of my big box elder logs to make

See if you can get me a tee time at the Ocean course in Kiawah
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

11pm? lightweight

Love the Box Elder! I need to learn how to turn things other then pens LOL

Matt

Jim, I really like those pieces, especially the box elder. Wow, what color! Now for a wierd thought. When I looked at the weed pot the first impression I got was that it was a leg bone. This is not an insult but just a reaction to the shape probably because of too many past anatomy lessons in school. I really like your work, nice forms and the wood you picked is beautiful. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Jim,

Great work. While I like them all, I especially like the ash turning. Thanks for showing them off.

Jason

Hey Jim....

Really some VERY nice pieces there.!!!! Very nice work and beautiful to look at as well. Do you use a vacuum chuck? Is it homemade? I need something like that to finish off a platter or two that I have been practicing with.

Keep up the nice work and thanks for sharing the pics.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Nice Work, Nicely presenter.

My Vote is for Boxelder

TJH