Thread: "A Day of Infamy . .."

"A Day of Infamy . .."

It has been on my mind all day long - what happened 62 years ago at Pearl Harbor. Over the years I've heard a lot of people say when they heard about the attack, they didn't even lmow where Pearl Harbor was. I think it was true of me, too. But I think there is no excuse for anyone not to know it now
    18th century nut --- Carl

I have been thinking about December 7th, 1941 all day myself. Being a World War II buff, and having several Uncles who served in the Pacific Theater during the War, makes me feel an sense of pride, gratefullness and patriotism that simply cannot be put into words. Thanks to the sacrifices of our Veterans, we enjoy the freedoms that we have today. We all owe a debt of gratitude to all the Veterans of all the conflicts over the years, but the memory of Pearl Harbor really brings it home to me. Truly, a "Date that will live in infamy".

Pearl Harbor Day

Americans should never forget the anniversary of Pearl Harbor, if we do the rest of the world will forget as well. Pearl Harbor is symbolic of our entry into World War II. We should remove the Enola Gay from the Smithsonian Institute and proudly display the plane as a new monument on the great lawn in Washington DC as a tribute to the end of the war.

The world has forgotten how powerful a force our civilian soldiers/sailors were and how mighty a people we are when we have to be.

hard to put into words

went to the USS Arizona memorial in 1999. most solemn/awe-inspiring place i've ever been.

b

Enola Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Americans should never forget the anniversary of Pearl Harbor, if we do the rest of the world will forget as well. Pearl Harbor is symbolic of our entry into World War II. We should remove the Enola Gay from the Smithsonian Institute and proudly display the plane as a new monument on the great lawn in Washington DC as a tribute to the end of the war.

The world has forgotten how powerful a force our civilian soldiers/sailors were and how mighty a people we are when we have to be.

The Enola Gay is now fully displayed at:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/udvarhazy/vtour.cfm

with no appologies either.

I didn't even know that this facility existed until a couple of weeks ago. It is near Dulles. It will be much better than the National Space Museum on the Mall I think. I waited 20 years to visit that facility and was so disappointed. All it had in it was what was in the old building. And the Enola Gay was still at Paul Garber. If you want to visit a real air museum go to Wright Patterson in Dayton, OH.

It's a long time ago. Most kids today don't even know the meaning of the date, or even have much apprecation for the country they live in.

I can remember sitting at the table as the news came over the radio. We were all shocked and surprised as there had been no warning that Japan had any ill intentions toward us. I was 21 and before my 22nd birthday on January 23rd I was in basic training at Fort Benjamin Harrison in Indianapolis. Much credit is rightly given to the soldiers of the war, but not enough is said about the civilians who worked and sacrificed to produce the weapons and supplies needed and the women who went to work in the factories and did incredible work for the men who were away. It was a total effort by everyone. When you consider that we had ten million men under arms and the needs of that army, it is absolutely amazing. Even staples were rationed in this country. I am sorry to have to say it but from my knowledge of history and the pathetic behavior of much of our population today, the "cycle of nations" which has never failed to occur for any nation in the past is well on its way to fruition in the United States. I don't give my grandchildren much chance to enjoy the kind of life I have had.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

I remember very well--I was 16 years old and heard it on a battery powered radio on a ranch near a small town in Montana. Little did I realize that before it was over, I would be on the front lines in France and Germany. Gives me a healthly respect for our young people over in Iraq. I know what they are going through!!! Bad English but right thought.
    Last edited by Earl Huggins; 12-07-2003 at 11:27 PM.