Thread: Staved Bowl Question

Staved Bowl Question

I would like to try my hand at staved bowl construction and have read the excellent Tibbetts book on the subject. My question involves gluing up the staves. The book shows severalways to do it inxluding a multi-layer jig so that all the staves can be glued up together and then the jig (containing faceplate) can be used to square off the bottom and prepare it for the bottom tenon. The book also describes other gluing techniques such as rubber bands or clamps.

Couple of questions--what do the turners who make staved bowls here generally use--and, if using the rubberband technique, how is the rough form then mounted so the bottom can be squared off and the tenon added--not obvious to me. Thanks

Charles,

Thank you for your compliment on my book. After gluing a cone shape together (using rubber bands or other method), you obviously have to somehow mount it on the lathe. The easiest way is to first mount a faceplate onto a disk of waste wood (MDF works well). Turn the disk round. Then touch up the big end of the cone so it's reasonably flat (you can use a belt sander or hold it against a disc sander). Place the big end on your round waste disk and center it using a ruler on four sides. This is where a hot-melt glue gun comes in handy. Place a bead of hot-melt to attach the cone. If you don't have a glue gun, then use Titebond or other glue. After the glue has cured, you can proceed to turn the small end and add a base. To complete the project, you'll have to then mount another faceplate-mounted waste block to the small end. Good luck. Don't hesitate to email me if you have other questions.