Thread: Back Off Pic Police!!!!

Talking Back Off Pic Police!!!!

As requested!

I was a little rushed on the cedar ebony pen, but for only the second pen, I don't feel too bad with it. The pink pen I actually got done very quick, but still turned out very nie in my own opinion.

Please comment, but be nice as I'm stil begining. That means you John and Andy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Blog Entries
    Very nice job Tyler. I'm gonna have to read up on pen turning. You've done a beautiful job.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

super sharp!
    865 miles southeast of Steve Schlumpf.

Those are very nice looking pens, Tyler. Very unique in coloration, too.

Since you invited comment, I'll throw out to you that it's important to remember how something is going to be used as you work through your "form". Pens have a pretty intimate relationship with the fingers of someone's hand as well as that area between the thumb and the first finger. (The web) So any pens that are intended for use need to take that into consideration as you contour them. Highly stylized contours tend to be less comfortable for use. A good way to evaluate your ideas is to just turn some spindles that are the same size and shape that you intend your finished product to be. Part them off and hold them in your own hand, pretending to write. Have some other people do the same. Then you can make any necessary adjustments before digging into the final project with the expensive wood and pen parts!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mighty fine looking pens.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Now that is what we are talking about. EYE CANDY. Hey us turners need our fix. Nicely done. I will have to agree with Jim B. about the confort use of a pen and designing shapes. I am going to learn all about this myself because I put off pen turning but got the bug at a woodworking show this past weekend so I ordered parts and kits and I sit and wait now. Keep the photos coming.
    John T.

Hey...Those are pretty cool Tyler! On the "hand-fit" subject....how do they feel? They look great!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Neither of the pens had any problems. I thought both were very comfortable, the weight being distributed very nicely and I personally like a hefty pen. The design work on the pink pen was above any contact with the hand, except when resting it back in the hand. When writing I falt nothing of the design work. I personally like a little figure to my pen either convex or concave to give a little better grip. To me straight just doesnt feel right.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Beautiful pens.... like the pink stuff! What is it? You did a nice job turning them.
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Pink stuff is corian, I think. It was given to me in a box with a bunch of other pen blanks (about 40 total) of wood and what he called corian. So I know what wood is, so I figured the other stuff that wasn't wood was corian.