Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DC is really depressing me

DC is really depressing me

hi all,
    I have to say I have really gotten some good advice on here about machinery and how to start up my basement shop.For the last month I have been using all my freetime to clean and arange the basement to set up my shop.I am ready to buy the last few power tools I need(thx to advice on here)but there is one issue that I am sorry to say that this place has not helped me very much in, and that is Dust collection.I am now afraid for my life and the lives of my family if I do not purchase the right equipment.For about 6 years I have operated a makeshift shop in the basement with some cheap end tools and I never used any collection at all.Now from what I hear on these forums if I dont get the top of the line stuff,it could be worse than having nothing at all.My original intent was to get a 1hp unit at about 850 cfm,portable so I can move it from machine to machine because for the amount of work I would be doing down there I fealt that it would be more than adaquate.From th advice on here I need at least a 2hp unit to move 1200or more cfm with a no greater than 1micron bag.Well its not that portable anymore and I have to use 220(wich I have anyway)and the price has more than doubled what I wanted to spend.I just dont know what to do know and I am at a standstill.It seems the more I read up on the internet about it,the more I get frustrated.
    The only thing I can do is take a deep breath(no pun intended)and make a decision.Shopping around for all the tablesaws,mitre saws,planers,jointers,drill presses was so much more fun than this.This part really,really,bites.
    My big 2 cents
    Marc
    Last edited by Marc Prudhomme; 02-17-2007 at 1:47 PM.
    Measure twice and cut once and swear three times

Marc, the immediate compromise might be one of the better 1.5hp single stage units, like the Jet DC1100 or Delta equivalent. Both are easy to move from machine to machine and are available with good filtration. Both also run on 120v. Don't delay in buying something to help control dust and chips if you can't afford the ideal. And wear personal protection when machining with tools that create a lot of the fines even when you are using the DC.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Marc,

Good choice - take a deep breath and slow down. First, understand, I don't have any type of dust collection yet, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I think it would be best if we all had the perfect solution, but that's not going to be possible for most of us. I think the 1200 CFM number is based on a longer run than you will have on your portable system. The portable system will be close to the machine, and 850 is probably going to be plenty. Will it be as good as a 2 hp. cyclone - probably not, but I think 850 is better than nothing. As far as the health concerns, it's a concern, but nothing to get paralyzed about. How many woodworkers do you know, and how many have a health problem? I would bet that the majority of the folks here at the Creek still have some type of portable system, as opposed to the high cost cyclones.

I've read all the information, and whenever there's a passionate debate, opposing views will tend to get polarized, and exagerated. My advise, make the best decision for yourself and try not to let the decision about DC take away from your enjoyment of woodworking.

One thing for sure, you'll get lots of advice here, so take it all in, but make up your own mind. As for me, I would like a cyclone, but it's not going to happen soon, but I'm going to keep working and enjoying.

Hang in there!!

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Dust collection is an important aspect of a wood working shop. Without it, the environment would be extremely messy and unhealthy. Now I don't think you need top of the line, but I believe the rule of thumb is, some dust collection is better than no dust collection. I don't believe I've seen someone say that if you're not spending $1,000 then you're better off with nothing. In many cases you get what you pay for, but you don't have to sell the family car to get a quality machine.

I personally bought a 1.5hp Jet DC-1100RCK dust collector. It operates on either 115 or 220 and comes prewired for 115V. It's rated for 1100CFM and filters to one or two microns via a canister style filter. Price was $449 with free shipping and no tax from Amazon. Certainly not top of the line and FAR from the most expensive. Reviews were good and I'm happy with the machine. Being portable and smaller was important to me. If I wanted a completely fixed solution, I'd have a cyclone collector of some sort.

Marc, I got the 1 micron JDS Dust Force from Woodcraft. It works well. for $ 350.

.......Mike
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

well david now you have heard someone on here say that.Here is an old reply to my post #9
    01-28-2007, 9:59 AM
    Dewayne Reding vbmenu_register("postmenu_514242", true);

Marc

Actually, in some cases something may NOT be better than nothing. You have to get the microns down to a safe level. Otherwise your just stirring up the bad stuff, and potentially breathing in more than you would have if you used no DC at all. A fine filter on a good shop vac is probably better than a cheap DC with a 35 micron bag. I can't prove it though.

Quote Originally Posted by David Wambolt
    Dust collection is an important aspect of a wood working shop. Without it, the environment would be extremely messy and unhealthy. Now I don't think you need top of the line, but I believe the rule of thumb is, some dust collection is better than no dust collection. I don't believe I've seen someone say that if you're not spending $1,000 then you're better off with nothing. In many cases you get what you pay for, but you don't have to sell the family car to get a quality machine.

I personally bought a 1.5hp Jet DC-1100RCK dust collector. It operates on either 115 or 220 and comes prewired for 115V. It's rated for 1100CFM and filters to one or two microns via a canister style filter. Price was $449 with free shipping and no tax from Amazon. Certainly not top of the line and FAR from the most expensive. Reviews were good and I'm happy with the machine. Being portable and smaller was important to me. If I wanted a completely fixed solution, I'd have a cyclone collector of some sort.

Marc, just pay attention to the filtration part of it if you can't exhaust outside, which most can't. I would think that the Harbour Freight unit with better filters would be better than a bigger HP unit with poor filters. I think the HF unit is on sale for 169.95, and there is a 10% off coupon floating around. Also one of the wood working magazines had an ad in it with a coupon.
    With this said, I have the luxury of exhausting outside in my present location. I also had the money to invest in a 5 hp cyclone about 2 years ago. If I was trying to do it today, it wouldn't be possible to go that route. If you need to eshaust inside, see about the best filters you can afford, then go from there. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

WITH OR WITHOUT THE 1 MICRON CANISTER KIT????(FOR 200 .00 BY THE WAY
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons
    Marc, I got the 1 micron JDS Dust Force from Woodcraft. It works well. for $ 350.

.......Mike

The Delta model 50-760 has served me well for over a year now. It filters to 1 micron with 1100cfm using a 110v 1.5hp motor.

I recently revamped the shop to limit the maximum distance of a tool to about 18 feet from the Delta. Through a series of waste gates, metal pipe, y-connectors and flexible tubing, I am able to get 90-100% velocity of DC at all my tools, including my CSMS, without having to move the unit around. Most of the travel is via metal pipe, so my friction reduction is minimal.

I use a chip seperator, but only for the TS, jointer and planer. I have a 4" to 2.5" reducer on the bench where my drill press and mortiser reside. It's great for overall vacuum/cleaning chores as well.

I find it imperative to use hearing protection whenever I turn it on. I also bought a remote on/off switch for the Delta, and it was the best $29 I ever spent!

I tried to do a diagram in SketchUp, but that will have to wait for another day.

Hope this helps,

Scott
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Marc, you think that the cost of a DC is depressing, my ducting cost more than my 2HP cyclone.

But if you go portable, you don't need as much oomph, as others have said.

There's a new Oneida portable cyclone DC that looks intriguing. I wanted to read about the details, but their site is sloooooooow right now. I'm not sure what the pricing is. Anyhow, Oneida makes really nice stuff, so I'd expect it to be a very clean, top performer. I'd take a look at that, as well as the ones others have suggested.

Todd

Marc, one major consideration is, what kind of HVAC system do you have, and is there any air handler in the basement? If not, then you greatly reduce the likelihood of distributing any dust throughout the house.

For me, I am in the garage, which is good, because our furnace and AC air handler are in the basement. If my shop was down there the house would be a mess (like the garage is).

JH

your not kidding about it being slow.Its still not up while I am typing this.

I have no HVAC.A 50,000 BTU wood stove in the basement is my main source of heat,electric baseboard is secondary.I would assume that fine particles would float up with the heat..

The Delta 50-760 was rated by Fine Wood Working as the best overall and the best value when they did testing and published it in the March/April 2006 issue. The reason why they gave it best overall value is that it comes with a 1 micron bag. Amazon.com has it listed or 315.00 the last time I checked and free shipping. This is the unit that I will be purchasing next month. The WoodWorking show will be in Chantilly, VA next month and I am hoping to pick one up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Prudhomme
    well david now you have heard someone on here say that.Here is an old reply to my post #9
    01-28-2007, 9:59 AM
    Dewayne Reding vbmenu_register("postmenu_514242", true);

Marc

Actually, in some cases something may NOT be better than nothing. You have to get the microns down to a safe level. Otherwise your just stirring up the bad stuff, and potentially breathing in more than you would have if you used no DC at all. A fine filter on a good shop vac is probably better than a cheap DC with a 35 micron bag. I can't prove it though.
    Marc

Sorry for being the guy that depressed you, now I'll probably make it worse. I am using the Delta 1.5HP the guys are referring too, and intend to improve on that next year. Far from great, but it has the 1 micron bag. I wish I could just tell you not to worry about it, but I won't. My father and I also painted autos, and used to cheat bigtime on the safety gear because we thought it was too expensive. He's not here anymore, and yes he died of lung disease. Sure wish I could trade some of my fancy tools in for some better safety gear for Dad ten years ago. It's clear now that I could have done better.

If you don't have the cash for decent DC, then cut your risk by not using MDF, and other materials that may be hazardous. From everything I read, 30 micron DC is just not a good longterm solution. Most of the guys here are not going to tell you it is, just to make you feel better today.
    Last edited by Dewayne Reding; 02-17-2007 at 7:52 PM.