Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinet Saw Purchase

Cabinet Saw Purchase

Hello All,

I have been toying around with the idea of getting a new cabinet saw. Actually started looking last year, but after the old central A/C decided to give it up I had to divert funds.

Anyways at that time I was looking at Delta X5 Unisaws. Now after finding this forum last fall, it seems that deltas are not held in the high esteem as they used to be. It seems that SawStop and PM2000 are the ones most talked about.

Unfortunately the budget isn't going to allow for a SawStop. So, I am looking at the under 3k group.

Does anyone know of some online reviews of cabinet saws? The reviews posted by people that have purchased a particular saw (pm2000 or unisaw) seem pretty similar in that they can have manufacter defects and setup is sometimes more painful than necessary.

The pm2000 has the built-in retractable wheels vs. the delta needs a base (extra cost). But then it seems that the accessories for pm2000 are not there, such as fold down outfeed table, etc.

Opinions welcomed.

TIA

The features and price of the PM2K make it a very attractive option. For just over $2K, you get a very capable machine with mobility, riving knife and better dust collection all built in. As to the outfeed table...you should build your own, anyway. There is one plan for the same on my web site and many other variations available to you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I own a Sawstop but almost bought the PM2000. If I were to do it any other way, I'd have that saw. The dealer I purchased my Sawstop from said at their four locations they did have several returns on the PM2000 due to problems. Many issues related to the wheel system where the used the bevel or blade height adjustment wheel instead of installing a dedicated one. They said they felt it was a good saw but recommended to potential customers they wait for some of the smaller bugs to be worked out.

I don't think you'd be disappointed in the PM2000.

Jim, Are you dead set on new, have you looked around for slightly used like craigslist and auctions. With a little fine tune slightly used will last a lifetime...

I'm happy with my PM2000. The retractable casters and riving knife are great features. Even if you aren't going to be moving the saw around much, having the casters is nice for those times when you do need to move it. The riving knife is great for reducing the likelyhood of kickback & only a few US saws offer it now (the SawStop has one as well). Every once & a while Amazon offers free shipping on it. Wait for that if you wanna save $199.

As far as accessories go, Jim's right, build your own outfeed. In fact, make your own ZCIs as well. Not sure what other accessories you'd need that can't be built quickly & cheaply.

BTW, from what I've heard & seen, you can't go wrong with the SawStop either. Just be prepared to pay more.

I checked out the Extrema saw from a link on SMC somewhere, and based on the photos, it looks pretty nice.

3 belt drive 50" fence, "four bolt mains" on the trunnion brackets and a box-style trunnion like the old Powermatic.

I have a Jet cabinet saw which doesn't merit high regards in many discussions, but I love it, and it works well for me.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Summers
    Hello All,

Anyways at that time I was looking at Delta X5 Unisaws. Now after finding this forum last fall, it seems that deltas are not held in the high esteem as they used to be.
    Wow - this is news to me.

BTY you can get the Delta 36-L31X-51BC for under $1700 curb-side delivery.

-or-

36-L31X-U50 for under $1550 delivered.

(right tilts are about $100 cheaper)

both at toolsplus dot com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke
    Wow - this is news to me.

BTY you can get the Delta 36-L31X-51BC for under $1700 curb-side delivery.

-or-

36-L31X-U50 for under $1550 delivered.

(right tilts are about $100 cheaper)

both at toolsplus dot com
    and it will cut cucumbers

Yes, but how well does it cut hot dogs? I hear some fancy saws can't cut 'em very well.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne ateser
    and it will cut cucumbers
    ...and fingers if you don't use safe shop practices/precautions.

Actually since I purchased a blade guard that is easy to use (Shark Guard) I seldom make cuts w/o one and I always use a splitter for all through cuts. In other situations where I can't use the Shark I'll use a pair of Grippers.

Try Grizzly

Jim: I have the Grizzly 1023SL left tilt, 3hp, 220Volt single phase cabinet saw. They also have a 5HP model if you need it for slightly more. I use the WoodworkerII blade for most cuts. It sells for $1,175 plus shipping and tax. I have had it since last May and once set up accurately it has performed in an excellent manner. I will never upgrade unless I hit the lottery and even then would probably only go for the Sawstop due to a little more safety. I added a large outfeed table and sled for cutting panels and a Biesemyer splitter (I now make my own for each blade). Ask around, I think you will find that the more expensive tools from Grizzly are well respected.

Here are some pictures and more discussion

Mike
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...217#post386217
    Mike Hill

Form Follows Function

Went to woodworking show last month and checked out the Steel City saw. Looked real nice with that titanium top. It was alot flatter then my Unisaw. My Unisaw top didn't look very good when I put my Starrett 4 foot straight-edge on it. Eckkkkkkkk

Gary K.

Search Continues

Thanks all,

From what I am reading it sure seems that the saws I am looking at will all be good saws. Everyone seems happy with the saw they use. After the setup that is.

Does anyone have experience tuning different saws? I am currently using an old dewalt 2.5 hp contractor saw that is very painful to adjust. It is a direct drive system and it seems the blade is out of alignment with the miter slot and the rip fence has never been a joy to work with. It was gifted to me and has served well, but I have definitely outgrown it.

I wonder if I will see a noticeable difference between 2.5hp and 3hp? Should I really be looking at the 5hp models?

And then the quality of materials is the thing I think will annoy me over the years, table surface not flat, etc...

My current setup for dust collection is just hooking up my shop vac hose to the tool in use.

Thanks again.

A 3hp cabinet saw should be more than enough for most all home shops. Now having said that, I bought a 5hp Sawstop. Why? Because I was already spending a large amount of money on the saw, so another $200 wasn't going to make or break the deal. Do I need 5hp? No. Also direct drive saws can sometimes be rated in developed horsepower and not actual horse power.

I would decide if you want a riving knife. If so, look at the PM2000. Accessories as you say are limited, but building an outfeed table is a fun project and allows you to configure it to fit your space. If not, I'd look at the Grizzly 10" cabinet saw as a bang for the buck purchase. Steel City also offers a very nice 10" cabinet saw. You have a lot of choices out there, but if it were my money and the Sawstop was out of the budget, I'd buy the 3hp Powermatic PM2000 with 52" extension. It has new school upgrades like multi-rib belts and the riving knife. Plus it's been reviewed well in most cases and usually it's the wheel system that knocks it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Summers
    ...From what I am reading it sure seems that the saws I am looking at will all be good saws. ......Should I really be looking at the 5hp models?...
    Jim - I think that you are correct - you will get a mighty fine saw no matter which one you select in the cabinet saw class - it is very hard to make a bad decision. I chose Jet myself, several years ago, and have been totally happy.

I assume you are a home shop woodworker. You should be perfectly happy with a 3HP cabinet saw. Whatever you choose, be certain it uses single phase power.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ