Thread: Need Opinions on NYW Deluxe Router Station Dust Collection

Blog Entries

Need Opinions on NYW Deluxe Router Station Dust Collection

My NYW deluxe router station is complete except for the interior dust collection chute. I cut the hole to accommodate the 2" PVC, but after seeing others on here, I see that many changed this out to a full 4 dust collection port.

I do not have a dedicated dust collector in my shop, but instead use a shop vac. I hooked the shop vac up to the dust collection on the fence and it did a fantastic job - almost good enough that I don't need the lower dust collection chute.

Since I only have a shop-vac, do you think I should keep the 2" dust port in the interior and then re-do the chute to accommodate a 4" port once I upgrade to a dust collector or should I just go ahead and put the 4" port in now and save the trouble of having to re-do it down the line?

My concern with putting in the 4" now is that it will actually hurt the performance since I'm using a shop-vac instead of a dust collector.

Thanks in advance. Pictures will follow once it's completely done.

Put a 4" hole in it now to accomodate a fitting for dust hose. Reduce it down to shop vac size and away you go. The reduced performance, if any, would only be in a fitting about 8" long, I'm guessing at this though.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Blog Entries
    The 2 1/2" junction entering the cavity where your router lives is no more impactive than adapting from 2 /1/2" to 4" and then entering. If you plan to go to a DC (you should), I would build the 4"port on now and be done with it. A short adapter is about $4 from Rockler or the other various sources.

I used my shop vac for the upper port for quite awhile even after I had a DC. My setup changed and I now use the DC for both.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Use a 4" port on the cabinet so you have enough air flow to handle both clearing the cabinet and the accomodations to the fence. And the air inlets on the door are absolutly necessary for best results.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I will go with the 4" port and reduce it down using an adapter. I have to get over to Rockler anyway before Saturday to use my Free Clamp Coupon before it expires on Feb 18, so this gives me a good reason to head over there.

I should have pictures posted by Sunday if everything goes well.

The people on here are the best.