Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google SketchUp 6 Users Guide - has anyone used it?

Google SketchUp 6 Users Guide - has anyone used it?

I wonder if anyone has successfully either downloaded or been able to open the PDF file located at http://sketchup.google.com/bonuspacks.html, along the right-hand edge of the web page.

This seems to be a free-standing guide, around 8.4 MB . My system saves about 3.4 MB and then "thinks" the download is finished - EVERY time! I use WinXP Home SR2.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

2. Tried it once and got error message saying file was damaged and could not be opened.
    Steve

Works fine for me.

4. It was the users guide I tried first then the quick reference. QR worked just fine so tried user guide again with the same result.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    Works fine for me.
    Dave,

I wonder if you could try downloading it again to a temp directory when you have a little free time, and see if it also stops at a little over 3 MB? This could be very helpful to those of us who are having trouble with the download.

Thanks!

Al

The file I think you are asking about is called 'ug_sketchup_osx.pdf'. Notice the 'osx' part. I downloaded the pdf, and it is a users guide for the MAC version of the software. Now the MAC and Windows versions are mostly the same, but this pdf contains screen shots and MAC specific keyboard commands that might be different from Windows. The bigger question is; why don't they have a Windows users guide and a MAC users guide? But not really an issue for me, I use a MAC anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Summers
    The file I think you are asking about is called 'ug_sketchup_osx.pdf'.
    I downloaded ug_sketchup_win.pdf.
    Got the full 8,854KB, but it won't open in adobe--says it is damaged and can't be repaired.

Thanks you all for your replies, comments, and suggestions!

Al

I just downloaded, and open it. No problems. 300+ pages. Thanks for the link, I've missed this before somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Yeilding
    I downloaded ug_sketchup_win.pdf.
    Got the full 8,854KB, but it won't open in adobe--says it is damaged and can't be repaired.
    Make sure you are using a version of Acrobat Reader that is the same or newer than the one the document was created in. Earlier versions will exhibit such an error because they can't understand the later format(s).
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Okay, downloaded it again, and this time it opens. Sounds like they may have had a corrupted file up for a while that was giving trouble to those of us that downloaded while there was a problem.

Curious thing. I downloaded it twice during the time the first few posts were going in this thread without any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    Curious thing. I downloaded it twice during the time the first few posts were going in this thread without any problem.
    Ahh, Dave,

The Google SketchUp gods are smiling on you once again!

As an aside, I wonder if ISP settings may have anything to do with the differences in computer reponse we get. For example, when our ISP changed to a new / larger proxy server, ALL movies were being blocked, including the latest services from YouTube. BUT at the same time, the Woodworking Channel was OK. Sometimes I just throw in the towel and yell for help .

Thanks a bunch again for ALL the help on SU, Dave - your thread is just terrific! And it is especially so now that we know how to save all the information into a web archive format . That makes it possible to surf through the thread without even needing an Internet connection.

Al

14. After dl I try to open the file and get a message that says the file is damaged and cannot be repaired. I'm using Adobe Acrobat Reader 8. First try was using AA6 so I uninstalled it and installed 8 thinking that would solve the problem. No luck. Anyone have a suggestion?
    Thanks
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Al Navas
    Thanks a bunch again for ALL the help on SU, Dave - your thread is just terrific! .
    Al, glad to help and I'm glad you are finding my thread useful.

Stephen, I don't know what to tell you. I haven't had any trouble with it so I can't think it is at the Google end. I even tried last night on my computer at home with no problem.