Thread: Phase two of a bowl project I posted earlier...

Phase two of a bowl project I posted earlier...

This is phase two of the 13 X 12 inch catalpa bowl I started several months ago. Previously I posted the completed phase one which is an Indian head surrounded by a mandella.

This wolf head is located directly opposite the Indian. Again, no kind of finish has been applied to this piece. That will be done when all four phases are complete.

The wolf head turned out to be somewhat problematic as I had never done one in relief before. Matter of fact, I had never done any type of animal in relief. Eventually I figured it out and will have an easier time of it if/when I do more animals in relief. All in all, I think it turned out okay. The eyes were painted with acrylics but the remainder was done strictly by pyrography. This was necessary in order to achieve the texture that I desired.

If you wish, feel free to criticize or comment…………
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Blog Entries
    Wolf this is very cool, well worth the wait.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Wolf bowl

Wolf,

That is a beautiful work of art. Very nice. What kind of a burner do you use?

Thanks,
    Dan Heine

Wolf, I've said it many times before and I'll say it again: You sir, are a true artisan! I'm looking forward to the remaining phases!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Wow. I can do flat work, and I can turn a bit, but I can't do that. Very impressive.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Impressive Wolf! For some reason, I thought you expected this phase to take a bit longer. A delightful surprise. Your work is one of the things I look forward to.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

By the way...one more thing....Your detail on animal hair looks like you've been doing it all your life. I just want to touch it!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Awesome Wolf. Very nice work.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Heine
    Wolf,

That is a beautiful work of art. Very nice. What kind of a burner do you use?

Thanks,
    Dan Heine
    I use a Colwood...........
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    By the way...one more thing....Your detail on animal hair looks like you've been doing it all your life. I just want to touch it!!

For me, a successful job of hair/fur, or feather, detailing is when you look at the piece and just want to touch or stroke it.......

As far as you are concerned then, John, the fur detailing on the wolf was successful. Thank you............

Impressive Wolf! For some reason, I thought you expected this phase to take a bit longer. A delightful surprise. Your work is one of the things I look forward to.

I thought it was going to take a little longer also. I surprised myself.......

Again, thanks for the kind words......
    Wolf Kiessling

11. Phase 2 Bowl

I'm a flat panel guy, who peaks in once in a while.......That's really COOL!!!!

Very impressive wolf, Wolf! Nicely done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

True piece of art. Very well done.

Lou
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Gorgeous piece... that is a true piece of art. Would love to see that in person! What tools did you use to carve it?
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Spafford
    Gorgeous piece... that is a true piece of art. Would love to see that in person! What tools did you use to carve it?
    Thank you, Jonathon. To answer your question, everything but the chain saw. First of all, the bowl was turned on the lathe. I say that because for some reason many people think my bowls are hand hewn. I don't know why, they are nice and smooth but I guess they are carved so heavily they just think I do the bowls by hand also. (One time, at a show, I told this lady that I scooped out a bowl with a sharpened spoon) I did use a recip carver extensively. Matter of fact, it is the first project I ever used a recip carver on. It just so happened I got a Wecheer carver, that fit my Foredom motor, as a door prize at the TWG show in September. Lucky thing because that chunk of catalpa was thoroughly dry and HARD. I've carved a lot of catalpa but this was more like carving pecan. Also made extensive use of several typhoon bits in conjunction with the Dremel. Anyhow, I also used three knives and just about every palm tool I own. My work positioner is too small to handle a piece of this size and weight so all of the work is being done in my lap. I used a couple of the long handled tools but had to push them because I couldn't use the mallet with the bowl in my lap. Of course, I also used the wood burner. All in all, I used the same tools that I used to carve the Indian head on the opposite side. Only difference, I did very little wood burning on the opposite side; mainly the feathers on the mandella.

Now I gotta get to work trying to figure out a pattern for phase three. Got a couple of ideas in mind..............
    Wolf Kiessling