Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Up with Iturra?

What's Up with Iturra?

A while ago, I asked the creekers for advice on where to find good replacement parts for my 14" Taiwan made bandsaw. Carter and Iturra were the answers I recieved. Eager to see the Iturra catalog, I called and requested one. Nothing came. Called again and left a detailed message with my mailing address. Again, nothing has come.

I have to ask....How do they stay in business with no web site to order from and a clearly archaic / broken process for even getting their catalog into potential customers hands? If they simply had a web site, I would have ordered the day I needed the parts and we'd all be happy. Me with my fixed bandsaw, and Iturra with a new order and a new happy customer.

Add it the list of things that I just don't get.

Iturra seems to have a near-religious following but he operates to his own beat. I'm sure you'll get your catalog the next time he gets some from the print shop. I see it as the JC Whitney of 14" band saws - lots of things to customize your machine, but some for which the value is questionable [sound of angry mob lighting torches]. My 2 cents.

Depending on what you have and what you need, it's possible that Grizzly can provide parts. Bearings, belts, bands, bolts, etc. are readily available from other sources.

Pete

Designing, setting up, maintaining and supporting a web site is a lot of work.

I designed/maintain/host my own, my sister-in-law's and some others (and host them all in my basement, so there is no incremental cost)

If you're not technically minded, it can seem more than you are willing to take on. If your margins are already slim, it can also seem a hard bet to make. There are third parties that will set up and host on-line catalogs for you, but that can get expensive quickly, without even considering the effort required to maintain the catalog.

One of my other hobbies is model railroading. At least half of the good small vendors involved in that have zero internet presence. I really really wish they did have on-line eCommerce sites, but that is slow to happen there.

I've called Iturra in the past and had no problems getting through. Sorry you've run into some roadblocks there.

That all being said, I think everyone should sell online.

Pete

A couple of years ago when I called about the catalog it took awhile to get here. As I recall they only print out so many at a time and if they are out you (I) must wait till the next batch gets processed.

I did eventually get mine and have enjoyed paging through it. I've also found that bandsaws and the opinions about how to use them go beyond Delta/Powermatic and even pins first/tails first. This actually makes it iteresting because you can pick up three books on the subject and each one has differing opinions on certain aspects of using your bandsaw to its best potential.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Dan,

I had the same experience. I called and asked for a catalog, about 6 months ago, but nothing yet. I understand that there is a lot of good info in there, so looking forward to getting it.

Jonathan

Guys,
    I worth waiting for!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I also requested their catalog about 4 weeks ago, nothing came after 2 weeks so I called and they said that the catalog was being printed and it would be at least another 2 weeks. I still don't have it. I've got a new bandsaw and the only blade I have yet is the one it comes with!

To be honest with you I will have serious reservations about ordering needed equipment from a business that can't even keep catalogs in stock. How difficult is it to call the same print shop that done all your previous jobs and request another run of catalogs? Maybe it's time they find another print shop if that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by scott kinninger
    I also requested their catalog about 4 weeks ago, nothing came after 2 weeks so I called and they said that the catalog was being printed and it would be at least another 2 weeks. I still don't have it. I've got a new bandsaw and the only blade I have yet is the one it comes with!

To be honest with you I will have serious reservations about ordering needed equipment from a business that can't even keep catalogs in stock. How difficult is it to call the same print shop that done all your previous jobs and request another run of catalogs? Maybe it's time they find another print shop if that's the problem.

They are worth the wait. Small price to pay for some of the most informative information you can get. In a hurry - go somewhere else.

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Oh yea, I forgot to mention, the 100+ page catlog is FREE!!!!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I just had a conversation with Lou this week. Iturra will have their website up sometime during the summer. You will be able to view their entire catalog, order and pay by credit card with all the appropriate security measures one would expect with online sales. Not knowing diddly about creating/maintaining a website, I would think this is no small task.

I have purchased a few select items to upgrade my BS and I must say, it runs better than the original package. Many items in their catalog are what I consider fluff, or gee that's a neat gizmo. One thing that always impressed me about Lou is that he has always taken the time to talk with me so I make an informed decision about any purchase from him. He has also given me some advice and information that I have found helpful in tuning up my BS.
    You can't talk about me without talking about yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by William Parks
    I just had a conversation with Lou this week. Iturra will have their website up sometime during the summer. You will be able to view their entire catalog, order and pay by credit card with all the appropriate security measures one would expect with online sales. Not knowing diddly about creating/maintaining a website, I would think this is no small task.

I have purchased a few select items to upgrade my BS and I must say, it runs better than the original package. Many items in their catalog are what I consider fluff, or gee that's a neat gizmo. One thing that always impressed me about Lou is that he has always taken the time to talk with me so I make an informed decision about any purchase from him. He has also given me some advice and information that I have found helpful in tuning up my BS.
    That's what I'm talkin' about! They turned my useless Jet 14" BS into a great tool!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Dan.

I kinda wonder how he stays in business myself. He's still there though.

Just call Louis on the phone. I know "old school", but that's the way he is.
    When I called him he advised me to get the Carter Guides for the 14" Jet, and an upgraded spring. He then told me how repair, and convert my tension rod to 5/16' threaded rod and get rid of the cheap metric rod that came with the saw. We talked about blades for awhile,and that was it.
    IIRC, the only thing I bought was the spring that day. I got the Carter guides locally. A few months later I got a catalog.

If any of you are looking to upgrade the performance of you 14" bandsaw/ These are the steps I took.

12" riser Kit.

Carter Guides. I added a homemade spacer to get the lower guide closer to the underside of the table, and decrease the unsupported/unguided length of blade. I think the Delta design for the lower guide bearing arrangement is better than Jet's, but that's a personal opinion.

Carter, or Itturra replacement spring. ( The original spring on my JET would only tension a 1/2" blade to about 8500-9000psi. The Itturra tensioned it to about 13,500 psi.

I used the 1/2" 3tpi Woodslicer blade from Highland Hardware. I think Mark Duginske is advocating a Bi-Metal blade from either Olson, or Lennox? for increased life.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 02-10-2007 at 2:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott kinninger
    I've got a new bandsaw and the only blade I have yet is the one it comes with!
    That's an easy problem to solve! There are zillions of band suppliers. Check out Suffolk Machinery's website or give Constitution Saw a call at 800-444-8041. For woodworking bandsaws, they both sell the same bands (aka "Timberwolf"). A 3/8X4TPI band would be a good start.

Pete

Mine was slow to come also. But it is worth it. They know their stuff...
    Jerry

Good to hear that they will be online sometime soon. My company has it's own web site, as do I, as does my 14 year old nephew. It isn't rocket science, nor is it expensive. Especially compared to printing 100 page catalogs and giving them away. Just from the people who posted on this thread, if they had been able to buy right away, would have paid for his web site hosting for months. I expect that Lou will see an expedential increase in his business after that site is up and he'll wonder why he waited so long. I for one, am looking forward to seeing that site, as it doesn't look like I'll have my catalog before then.