Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is up with Performax?

What is up with Performax?

Last night I saw a bunch of "Performax" tools at Menards. For example a mini lathe with motor about the size of a coffee mug and many plastic parts, a OSS that looks just like the one at Harbor Freight, a small (make that tiny) belt/disc sander, and a 12-1/2" planer. None of these appeared to be close to quality tools. Then today I tried to look them up and can't find any Performax stuff on WMH Group's web site other than some accessories.

Performax is still there, although they're not mentioned on the front page:
    http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/Shop/ind...Page=5&CID=245

WMH is apparently starting to leverage that brand name for a line of low-end tools for the big-box market. Someone posted an inquiry a few weeks ago about one such tool. For some reason, when you go to the "normal" pages for the brand name, this line doesn't come up...which I find interesting in itself. The link that Ken posted is for the sanders that we all know and love...I don't have a record for the other link. You may be able to find it doing a search here at SMC...I'm on the run and can't do it right now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes Jim, I think Menards is trying to augment their premium "Tool Shop" line of equipment.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Kraft
    Yes Jim, I think Menards is trying to augment their premium "Tool Shop" line of equipment.

ROFLOL
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    low-end tools for the big-box market
    Based on the lathe they had on display, you are being very generous.

Performax has also gotten out of the higher end sander market. They've sold the design and manufacturing rights to "Supermax." Supermax now carries the 25" drum sanders, and larger. Supermax also sells wide-belt sanders, FYI.

http://www.supermaxtools.com/

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Solomon
    Performax has also gotten out of the higher end sander market. They've sold the design and manufacturing rights to "Supermax." Supermax now carries the 25" drum sanders, and larger. Supermax also sells wide-belt sanders, FYI.

http://www.supermaxtools.com/

Todd
    I think that the "getting out" happened a few years ago and the SuperMax group got started back up within the past year.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here's the lathe I saw. Everything that is red in the picture is plastic. Also notice the 2.3A motor. I returned a bigger drill because it was too weak.

It looks like this line is to compete with the low end Craftsman and Delta stuff. Also, if you click the "find a retailer" button, it goes straight to Menards, so I would say this is a Menards-only deal.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 02-07-2007 at 8:05 PM.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    "You save big money when you shop Menards"
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    Here's the lathe I saw. Everything that is red in the picture is plastic. Also notice the 2.3A motor.
    Plastic aside, 750 RPM for low end speed? Geez.

Check out www.performaxpowertools.com

I too was also looking at the performax tools at menards in the Appleton Green Bay WI area and they had a deal on their planer. I did some checking and asked on here as well. If you want some additional info, check out www.performaxpowertools.com. I think that will give you some idea. I looked at the planer a little closer after it was advertised in the flyer and it is made in China and has no similar qualities from the "good" performax tools. Just a little FYI for you all.
    Thanks,
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    "You save big money when you shop Menards"
    Or as my daughter says "Spend big money at Menards"

Performax Tools

I recently purchased a Performax Oscillating Spindle Sander at Menards and what a bargain for $84.00 on sale. What a great machine. It has a cast iron table, five different spindles, and sanding media as well. Very easy to setup and sands like a champ. I was curious as to the quality of this product so I did a search on line and it landed me in Sawmill Creek. I just wanted to let people know what a great product this sander is and how great it performs. I sanded some various types of wood(oak maple, pine and ash) and better than expected. You can also purchase alternate grades of sand paper from Menards.

Bob Willing

How long have you owned the unit, and how much usage has it gotten? It's more the longevity of an item like this that would concern me. I ask because I owned a Ryobi Oscillating Spindle Sander that developed issue's sooner than I would have hoped for.