Thread: Long lead times for Freud products thru Amazon?

Long lead times for Freud products thru Amazon?

I ordered a Freud LU80R010 10" x 80-Tooth HiATB Blade thru Amazon. Long story short, I ordered it on 1 Feb and the latest is it won't be shipped for 6+ weeks due to "unexpected fluctuations in supply". I've heard complaints in the past of problems getting Freud blades thru Amazon to include one individual who claimed a 4 month delay in getting a Freud blade thru Amazon! While there seems to be some issues with Amazon right now in general, does anyone know why there is such a long delays in Freud products specifically? Does Freud ship directly to Amazon or does Amazon get their Freud blades thru a third party? I just have a hard time believing that a reputable manufacturer like Freud is that far behind in orders to their distributors.

I know there are other good sheet good blades, but after seeing a LU80R010 in person I was very impressed. There was zero chip out on either side crosscutting cheap borg oak ply, that was enough to convince me to pick up one! Besides Amazon, does anyone know of a reputable mail order distributor that caries the LU80R010? I've got an upcoming sheet goods project and need a new blade sooner than 6+ weeks.

Mike

Try these guys. http://www.tools-plus.com/freud-lu80r010.html

$79.99 + $6.50 shipping. Ships in 2 to 3 days.
    Regards,
    Dick

I have ordered a bunch of Freud products from Amazon, as well as many other tools, and have always received great service along with timely delivery. I haven't heard of any recent "real" problems with Amazon service. Good Luck, Bill

We have good stock on those in our warehouse. I suggest that you call Amazon and have them check the status.

BTW, Amazon ships from their own warehouse and I have no way of knowing what their stock levels are.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

There have also been coutless times where Amazon sends the 'Product Delayed' email only to have the shipment show up at your house the next day.

Well I got another e-mail from Amazon, they updated the ship and delivery times again:

Shipping estimate: February 5, 2007 - March 6, 2007
    Delivery estimate: February 8, 2007 - March 9, 2007

Not sure what they're up to, that's quite the spread considering this is the 6th now... I guess that's better than the flat out expected ship date of 9 March, though I really don't get a warm fuzzy yet. Maybe Lars has it right and it will show up tomarrow?

Charles, thanks for chiming in, Like I said before, I really didn't think the problem was on Freud's end. But it sure looks like Amazon is trying to blame it on Frued with their "unexpected fluctuations in supply" comment.

There has recently been several news stories about Amazon's less than anticipated financial figures. The consensus was that Amazon's financial issues are due in part by shipping (no surprise there) and warehousing setup. I think even the casual observer has to wonder what's up with their shipping, anyone who ordered Bessey clamps can relate to that! Amazon has got to be loosing a ton of money on shipping and packing. Maybe their trying to fix the shipping and reducing their on hand stock to lower the overhead???

mike

Last week I ordered a LU84R from Amazon. When I started the order, it said ships Feb 1st, but by the time I finished the order, it said ships Feb 5th. Got shipping notice yesterday, Feb 5th. Says 10-12 days though. Just went to Amazon's web site and tried to find a Dewalt 7657 blade Says there is no reference to one, but at bottom of page when looking at DeWalt 7640, it gives an offer to purchase 7640 and 7657 as a package. First they don't have it, and then offer to sell it as part of a package. Go figure!
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 02-06-2007 at 10:44 PM.

At least on a Freud LU84, no problem. I ordered it last Tuesday, specified the free sloooow shipping, and it arrived on Friday.

I've had to wait on a couple of items but I knew I was going to have to wait and it was okay. I'm waiting right now on a couple of items (some gun nails). I've had to wait on a Freud item once when they had a big run of Freud stuff on sale and the sales were high.

I'm a Prime member and I don't know how much that matters in shipping (other than the cost) but most of the time when an iten shows to be out of stock and I've ordered it anyway, I usually get a shipping notice within a couple of days. One recent example was when the new Bosch drivers came out. I ordered the one with the bendable head and expected to wait for a couple of weeks. I had ordered it on a Wednesday. Thursday evening I got a shipping notice and Friday it was delivered.

BTW, I absolutely love that blade. I ordered one on a recommendation and after receiveing it I mounted it on my Uni and made a couple of (cross) cuts in different plywood scraps, oak ply, maple ply birch ply and CDX. I liked it so much I turned my saw off and went to my computer and ordered another one right there and then. It's awesome!

Hurry up!!!.......bug it! buy it!......
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Mark, glad you're happy with the blade too. I saw one in person last week and all I could saw was WOW!!! I ordered one that evening! Unbelievable cuts in cheap borg oak ply, absolutely NO chip out ripping and crosscutting on the veneers. The cut was definitely better than my WWII which, before seeing the LU80R010, I thought was good but did leave a little minor chipout crosscutting sometimes. I just canceled the Amazon order and ordered thru another vendor, should have it by the middle of next week at the latest.

Mike

Just a comment but when I went on Amazon, I noticed that the Freud LU80R010 is not really sold by Amazon, but by a couple of other vendors. As M Toupin pointed out, the blade is sold THRU Amazon. So Amazon would not stock it, nor would you get free shipping on it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

It took me about 13 weeks to get some Freud router bits from them once.
    But I don't think the problem is unique to Freud. A lot of stuff from Amazon takes a long time.

In summary, I only order through Amazon if it's a great deal and I'm not in a hurry to get it.

My Freud LU84R shipped on the fifth as promised. Just checked with tracking and it was in Greensboro today, so should be here in Apex tommorow, but sorry mailman won't drive up to house ( I have two large dogs), instead he will leave me a note to pick up at post office after 5:00 pm, which means Saturday morning. Last thing I had shipped through USPS showed picked up, and two days after delivery, showed as delivered. WOW!

I ordered my Freud blade from Amazon and used their free shipping. I placed the order on 1/17 and received it on 2/2. That's the first time I had to wait that long for an order from Amazon.