Thread: Orlando and Siesta Key bound

Orlando and Siesta Key bound

I will be visiting Orlando, Siesta Key and Tampa in the spring. I want to know where are the good places to purchase tools, wood, etc in these areas. Are there any woodworking musuems or galleries in these areas? They can be related to flat work as well. Hopefully I will be able to get some me time in between Disney World, Sea World and Busch Gardens.

Thanks in advance for your help ...

Marty

Siesta Key

Marty,

I am very envious. Siesta Key is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. Make sure to check with the guards before going in the water this time of year. Sting Rays can sometimes be a problem this time of year. You will just need to learn "the Sting Ray shuffle". Its a way of walking in the shallow water to alert the ray you are coming. Irregular pace is the best way I can describe it.

Sorry, I can't help you with any turning related topics down there. My Dad has a home in Venice, about 30 minutes south of Siesta Key. There as a restaurant in Sarasota that I highly recomend, it's called Shells. Very good food, and nice people.

Have Fun,
    Dan Heine

Just got back from Tampa/St Pete. Woodcraft on HWY19 in Largo is a great store, lots of help and local references. Just happened the West Florida turners chapter of AAW was meeting and folks are super friendly. Seems local brush dumps are full of free wood.
    Rich

Marty are you driving or flying?
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Glenn I am flying which will take about 5-6 hours. According to Mapquest the 2800 mile drive one way would take about 50 hours plus a 5-7 hour ferry crossing. So I will be travelling light to allow for the purchase of some small tools or pieces of wood.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Anema
    Just got back from Tampa/St Pete. Woodcraft on HWY19 in Largo is a great store, lots of help and local references. Rich
    I have been to a number of Woodcraft stores and that one is the best I have been to. The only problem is that you are taking your life into your own hands when you drive on US 19 in that part of Florida.
    Dick Durbin
    Tallahassee

Dick I was thinking of going to the Woodcraft in Casselberry while we are in Orlando. How does this compare to the one in Largo?

Thanks ...

Marty ...

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Barron
    Dick I was thinking of going to the Woodcraft in Casselberry while we are in Orlando. How does this compare to the one in Largo?
    I was there a couple of weeks ago. Their stock of turning tools had been somewhat depleted by the recent Florida Woodturner's Symposium, but I still found way too much stuff to spend my money on. I got some Cole jaws for my Pinnacle chuck and a new scraper.
    Dick Durbin
    Tallahassee

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Barron

Thanks ...

Marty ...

The Casselberry Woodcraft is nice. If you're going there you might also want to check out Amazon Exotic Hardwoods as it's close by. You also might check Utter Guys (in Sanford/Lake Mary) it's not far from Woodcraft either.

Kevin

We spent a week straight at Disney and didn't have time for anything else. There is just too much to do there!