Thread: Vacuum Chucking

Question Vacuum Chucking

I need help finding a good vacumm chucking system. I have never had or used one before, so can one of you turners steer me in the right direction as to where to buy a complete system. I m not afraid to spend a little more money for the best.

I don't know if this info. is needed but as of now I have a Grizzly 16x43 lathe with 1x8tpi spindle. 2h

Dan:
    I chose to buy my system from Oneway. There are less expensive ways to do this but I'm a satisfied customer and haven't looked back since I bought it.

Michael

can you post a link to where I might find it

OUr lathe club in Lubbock just had a demonstration on building your own. If you are even slightly mechanically inclined this is not a hard project. The demonstartor was Ernie Showalter, he has an article published in the American Woodturner magazine. Here is the info on the magazine.

American Woodturner, Spring 1999Vol. 14, No.1,28-31
    Vacuum Chucks, by Ernie Showalter

also can be found in
    Techniques & Projects IV from AAW

If it is in AAW I would trust it. Also I saw it in action, very nice design and price!!! Less than anything on the market!!

Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Dan
    www.oneway.ca is the link

Michael

Dan, see if you get your hands on issue #7 of Woodturning Design (fall 2005). King Heiple had an excellent article on constructing you own, he even noted where the supplies could be purchased at reasonable prices.
    I built one and it works like a bomb, don't know how I ever got along without one. Good luck.

Dan,

Go here and see what I use for the vacuum hook up on my lathe. It's relatively inexpensive and works very well. Then you can make some vacuum chucks on your own if you don't have or want to spend the money on one of these.
    The drum chucks work very well, nicely balanced, and very well made.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Most of the turners here have built our own system.
    I got my used Gast Vac pump off e-bay for around $80 and I use the E-Z Vacuum Adapter #2MT for the headstock http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...=lathes-acc-vc
    Got all my plumbing parts at the local hardware store and Home depot.
    here is a link to my thread.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18864
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Dan,
    You say you have a 16x43, would that be their new model G0632?

If so check that spindle again it should be a 1 1/4 x 8 and that would be important to you in getting a vaccumm attachment!

Also, check one more thing regardless of the model, does the spindle have a bored through hole??

Last time I was a Gs I briefly looked at the new one and not sure if it was that one or one of the cheaper models but some of their products do not have the bored spindle, also one reason I didn't buy a new lathe then !

I do recall having a little discussion with the salesperson who has been employed there for a few years, telling him it wouldn;'t work for me since I would like to be able to add a vaccumm chuck, duhhhhhh no they don't know what it is!

If this is the case all is not lost, visit Bill Gumbine's site and look at the VacuuMaster he tested, http://www.wonderfulwood.com/vacuumchuck.html

John

No I have model # 0462 1x8tpi RH

Dan, I know you asked for a full system but you may still be interested in this. It is quite a savings and without the uncertainty of some of the other sources.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...40&catname=air
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning