Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Jim is it out of the box?

Cool So, Jim is it out of the box?

So, Jim is it out of the box yet? Inquiring minds want to know. We're waiting for the pictures of the actual item contained in that big box, if there is actually something in it.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Nah! It was just a box full of rocks. Just enough to get everyone going.

Ted

I have the feeling Jim is not going to be posting a lot today. I sure wouldn't if I had a nice beastie like that to set up and do a self orientation and test (play with).
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Cool

I think that Jim is still having too much fun with his new "toy." We've been abandoned. Hey Jim, we hope all is going well.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Jim is now in the box ....sliding...yes he is so excited he has reverted to his childhood and is more excited about the box then its contents. as he slides he emulates the MM saw....ripping and crosscuting as he slides in both directions with precise accuracy ...this is a common phenomenon among woodworkers....with a great deal of effort ....a pry bar and some manteca (lard) my wife managed to get me out of the Marcou plane box....it was tight and I was dumb for going in there, but the BFP struck me (box fetish phenomena)
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Yes, it's out of the box...

Yes, it's out of the box. I have a LOT of photos to pick through, massage and then post, so please bear with me. Right now, I want to get out to the shop and do some final things so I can start using the beautiful beast. It really is sweet. In the mean time, here are a couple teaser pictures...

preview-x.jpg

preview.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice, real nice.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Jim, I think your out pf the box now
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Congratulations Jim, you must be exicited. I have been following your adventure vicariously. It has been over ten years since I have experienced the pleasure of waking in the morning and rushing down to my shop to play (err work). My juices are flowing.....now where did I put that confounded catalog?......
    Gary K.

WOW....nice Super Bowl present Jim. It's nice to see someone else celebrating all of the really important holidays.....Super Bowl Day, Daytona 500 Day, Indy 500 Day, World Series Days, etc. What did you and the family get in your footballs hung on the mantle?

That's a very cool saw!!!!!

Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Nice Saw

Jim,

Let me wipe the drool from my face. That is one impressive piece of machinery.

Congrats.

Darryl

Those foot balls on the mantle must have been(past tense) stuffed with lots of money or a now topped off credit card.

I hope you have loads of fun with your new saw Jim.

Please don't take this wrong but I always find it hard to see shops that are not production shops with production equipment. Especially when I remember back to my Dad struggling along producing cabinets when this equipment was not available even to a production shop.

Gee Jim do you still have room in there if so maybe you need to put in a time-saver or at least W&H moulding machine. I think your this old house could benefit from some moulding.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

13. I'm pretty new to these big machines, actually I've never seen one before. Very impressive. I always assumed machines of this size were destined for big pro shops, so I always kinda glossed over them. I'm assuming the major feature of this saw is that it moves the panel on a rail system instead of the operator sliding it past the blade, so doing large panels with angles and such is really easy, right? Can someone also explain to how a $9000 table saw would fit into the hobbyist shop setting? (I'm assuming Jim is running a pro cabinet shop, but not sure since I'm kinda new here, and just assuming SMC is hobbyist-based). Can a saw of this magnitude really be used to its potential in a one-man shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Jameel Khalaf
    I'm pretty new to these big machines, actually I've never seen one before. Very impressive. I always assumed machines of this size were destined for big pro shops, so I always kinda glossed over them. I'm assuming the major feature of this saw is that it moves the panel on a rail system instead of the operator sliding it past the blade, so doing large panels with angles and such is really easy, right? Can someone also explain to how a $9000 table saw would fit into the hobbyist shop setting? (I'm assuming Jim is running a pro cabinet shop, but not sure since I'm kinda new here, and just assuming SMC is hobbyist-based). Can a saw of this magnitude really be used to its potential in a one-man shop?
    on the $ 9000 dollar thing and it must be a pro shop, all I can say is look at ebay and see all of the expensive Harley Davidson motorcycles with less than 5000 miles on them.

Hobbiest,pro,money?

Don't matter.

I have a few hobbies that I rarely discuss, but I pay for em by mangling wood.

Two of them involve R/C vehicals.

One truck, no larger then a tonka dump truck is in to me for $6000.

Now the airplanes, spend 1/2 that on a motor.

I can't fly em and I don't race em.

But I sure enjoy a well built machine.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence