Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bessey 40" $27 + Free Shipping

Well for the price, I am not waiting for Jets to go on sale. I just wish the Jogies would go on sale as often as the Besseys. Jorgies are better than bessies IMHO.

Wonder if Lowes is switching over to Jet? The 2 local stores have been doing a major overhaul of the clamp aisle. Lots of Jet stuff there now.........
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

THANKS!!!! Can never have too many clamps. Four more coming my way

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thiel
    They just don't understand. Tell her clamps are like shoes.

Jim

But her likely retort will be, "Guys only have three pairs of shoes, and you already have three pairs of clamps."

Ted

I like the Jet clamps better as well, however as others mention the Amazon deals on Besseys are awesome. Hopefully the new competition will help lower costs for the entire parallel jaw clamp category.

AFAIK Jet is not making a lot of the sizes that Bessey makes such as the 60" which is on sale for $34 . . .

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=U...&creative=9325

Silly Packaging

Got mine. Shipped in what amounted to huge individual cardboard sleaves. Out of eight, 1 dead, 2 wounded (footless). Not surprised, several old sayings come to mind: "Ya' get what you pay for", "No such thing as a free lunch", etc.

Call Bessey and they'll ship you the feet with no problem.

Another Amazon Shipping Gripe

Yup, great price. So great that I could resist dumping a few in my cart on Feb 4th. Like I needed more K-body clamps to accompany the newly acquired (but somewhat homeless) K-body clamps scattered throughout my garage...er...I mean shop.

I get the email that says they'll be here on the 7th. That'll work - SWMBO won't be home until late, and the 40 inchers will be lost amongst the sea of other scattered orange tools.

On February 6th, I get a call from the wife on the way home. "SOOOO, I see you bought more clamps...so much for being done with clamps for a while, huh?"

Busted. Thanks Amazon for shipping faster than expected. Now I'm on Bessey lockdown until further notice...

BTW, of the 15+ boxes of Bessey's I've received over the past 30 days, I've only suffered one cracked foot, but have dealt with over 150 linear feet of pillow-pak. Ack! And you wonder why revenues are up almost $400M, profits are down...

Cheers,
    Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Dominguez
    I bought a bunch of the Bessey clamps during the last big sale and have been using them since. They're very good clamps, a lot better than my old pipe clamps, but not as easy to use as they could be.
    The latest issue of Woodsmith contains an article rating new parallel jaw clamps which made me wish I had waited and bought the new Jets,which are said to be about the same price as the Besseys but include some worthwhile user-friendly improvements.
    I'm a little bit biased. I have a lot of Bessey's. I ordered 6 Jets to try them out. I see them as being about equal. I actually like the Bessey's adjustment better than pushing down on the lever for the Jet, but that's because I'm used to it, I suppose.

The Jet's clamping Jaws are a little bit wider and thicker.

To me, the Jet's benchdog feature was not that big of a deal (nor was having a ruler on the Jet).

Both clamps fit in the K-body blocks, which is nice.

In short, if I needed more, I'd just buy whichever one had the better sale. The "pluses" the Jet has are very marginal (if any), in my opinion.