Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Full-Color Laser Engraving

Answers to questions on color laser engraving

Hello to all,

I am Thom Price co-inventor of the process technology known as Atomic Art. I am going to try to answer the more serious minded questions and will ignore the obviously ignorant.

First of all we have not attempted to perform our process on metal at this time. Although we are having positive results with acrlyic.

Next we never at any time asked for or recieved any compensation from any laser manufacturers. We offered to enable all makes at no charge and the companies that responded are the ones that are currently able to produce color images.

We do not have any issues negative or otherwise with Epilog we have heard many good things about that brand of laser and assume that is true.

Our technolgy has taken thousands of man-hours to perfect and we did not want to release it until it satisfied our standards.

Lightwave has not stated that they are selling their technology. We encourage you to compare the products and make your own decision.

We are offering this training class because it will take most people 3 days to grasp and the training must be done at our facility. Everything you will need to be sucessful is there to make things efficient. Unless you have a large format laser, those will be scheduled for on site training.

There are 2 Licenses available: Stone & Tile is one License and Glass is another License.

The Patent issue will be determined at the Patent office and only by the Patent office.

We have offered the training for $4495 for the first twelve who sign up and that number has been reached. The current price is $5495 upon completing the questionnaire we send out the information in regards to the license, the training, and what we provide etc.

Ed has been kind enough to recommend this process. He has samples and is convinced this is a great opportunity for the serious minded proffessional engravers. It is what he has said THE REAL DEAL.

If it is slow, it is because of the limitations of the lasers not the technology. A full color spread 12"x12" takes around 80 minutes to complete.

We are very busy preparing for the ARA show and scheduling for the training classes and we hope this has answered the lucid questions. For more information feel free to contact us.

Thom, Terry & Jesse

Thom - Did you ever read any of the Dale Carnegie books? I think it may help.
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

"and will ignore the obviously ignorant." Boy, that sure does not fit into the usual Sawmill Creek Philosophy. Now some of us, OR, our questions are obviously ignorant. You can keep your process. I can imagine what kind of Customer Service you must present.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Another skeptic....

I have been following this closely. It does sound like they were trying to generate revenue by selling "protected" sales areas... unfortunately, it also sounds like they are gearing up to sell the inks to anyone. (read the links carefully) It appears that what you are buying is the opportunity to attend a seminar on how to use the product. A training class. Period.

If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

It probably is a duck!

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Wow, Thom, thanks for coming on over to SMC, you really answered all the questions for me. Great job!!

I'm going to sign up ASAP....hope I'm one of the first 12....oh, wait, I'm not....$5495 it is then.

I have a large format laser - I think this means my training can be done at my place, right? Hope so, since I have a medical condition that prevents me from flying. When can you schedule me?

Can I have ALL of San Jose, CA, or just an area that has a population of 200,000? If so, can I pick the area?

I'll give you a shout to sort out the details shortly....(702)498-3250, right?
    Last edited by Dave Fifield; 02-02-2007 at 7:38 PM.
    Dave Fifield

XYZ Laser - 45W Epilog 36EXT, Rotary, Corel X4, Photograv

Mitchell, the light blue one or the dark blue one?
    Dave Fifield

XYZ Laser - 45W Epilog 36EXT, Rotary, Corel X4, Photograv

Thom, a little respect, please.

This forum is a place that good folks assemble to ask questions they need answered or to share their handiwork. The flavor of this forum is to have the freedom to ask any questions without fear of feeling "ignorant" or as if their question is not worth a response.

I have been participating a short while on this forum and have felt welcomed from the start. Asking an ignorant question doesn't bother me because I know I will get a respectful answer from the masses. Because of my respect for the participants of this forum I felt compelled to respond.

I hope that you will take a moment to reread your initial post and work a little harder on your post #2. You will be well-received here if you treat everyone with respect whether their question (in your mind) is serious or ignorant.

Jim Good

I also think that Thoms answers didnt do anything to reduce the level of scepticism here and the tone was not nice at all

I also think that 80 mins per sq ft will require selling prices of over $150 per sq ft

I also think that very few customers will pay this

I also think that there are far cheaper and better ways to acomplish colour on substrates and they arent that limited to what substrates

I also think you will have problems with substrates that arent white

I also think that you will have to spend a lot of money advertising an promoting the process

I also think that this process is totally unsuitable for production

I also think that spending $5500 can get you other machinery/processes etc that can increase your sales and profitability far more than this ever will.

Maybe I shouldnt think so much and just believe what anyone says.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Price
    I am going to try to answer the more serious minded questions and will ignore the obviously ignorant.
    How about a seriously ignorant question? How is this different from the Stained Glass Overlay (SGO) "protected" franchises that when belly up by the boatload over the years?

Can I have another? If a competing brand opens up at a cheaper price due to a cheaper buy-in, will you refund my money, or somehow "protect" my terf from the invaders?

Another... How much of my service fees and product costs will you be allocating to advertizing on my and other franchisees behalf???

One more. I'm figuring any process that takes 3 days to teach has got to be so complex that it leads to some high failure rates. What is the ratio?

Ya got nerve. Maybe a great process. Probably not enough of either to make this fly past the first 12 "dealers", or the first 12 months.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fifield
    Mitchell, the light blue one or the dark blue one?
    NUTS!!!! Did I say BLUE????

Seriously everyone!!!

A new Creeker has joined, and we do want to welcome him.

We've all had a chance to jab sticks in his cage. I'd like to make sure that we REALLY hear what the process is about, how it will help my shop be more profitable, and why it takes 2 days longer to learn about applying a coating than it did to learn to run my laser.

Thom,
    There are a few sceptics in this very tight community of laser owners. Word-of-mouth can sell your concept, word-of-mouth can kill it dead and buried. We obviously talk to one another about anything related to lasers, even supplyers, and this forum is here so you can talk to us about your deal.

We're not convinced, obviously. Care to give it another shot?

Answer this question. Aside from grave markers, where are full color images on stone so important that a client might be willing to pay three times the cost of gray scale?
    Last edited by Mitchell Andrus; 02-02-2007 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null
    It's possible that they may be charging laser companies a fee and Epilog may have decided not to join in.

It's more likely they haven't found a way to tweak Epilog's driver yet, or worse, it just won't do what is required.

On face value it seems pretty lame. $5K for a secret formula and complex training, the rights to opperate in a "zone". Would you like a license for glass, or for tile? Price fixing involved?? Can I underprice the other 11 people in the class. Can I operate worldwide on the web, or only local ?

Hmmmm, there's this fellow from Nigeria who keeps emailing me who claims he's royality, and needs a few $$$ to help me get millions out of his country.

Gotta go reply.

How much!!!???

I was interested in this process, too. I've been following it for a year now, waiting for information. Then I saw how much it cost. Five grand? For a three day training class? For a process that may not be cost effective? I don't think so, Gracie! And then to see the "attitude" on this forum from the company spokesman? I really don't think so, Gracie! Too many questions and not nearly enough answers on this one. Why does the term "snake oil" keep popping into my head
    Tom Hempleman
    Carroll, Ohio

Color Laser Process

Hi Thom;
    I am going to assume you are sincere and willing to answer questions about the process. I apologize in advance if any appear to be ignorant as I must admit to being ignorant regarding this process.
    1. Does the process utilize materials manufactured by others and can these materials be purchased from the manufacturer by anyone?
    2. Does the process require any machine/tool/device which can be purchased by anyone on the open market?
    3. Have you filed for a patent? What exactly are you trying to patent?
    4. Can you post a picture of a 12 x12 tile photo/artwork done with the process and answer the following:
    a. What make/model of laser was used to produce it?
    b. How long did it take to produce? Laser time/prep time?
    c. What is the cost of materials required to produce it?

Thanks
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts
    Last edited by George M. Perzel; 02-03-2007 at 6:40 AM.