Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Full-Color Laser Engraving

Mitchell and David, I'm sorry, your right, I shouldn't be so bitchy, probably PMS 'ing when I wrote it , and I have four kids, so they were probably on my mind as ususal . I see your point in trying to get the technical answers out there, I was just responding to mainly the durablity of the product and what a good idea it was to come up with something in the line applying paint to the substrates. I do wish they would come out with a video of how it is applied so we can see if this is something we would like to tackle, and have the added expense to our work. On their site they have the finished video of products but no application videos. I also would like to see how the effects of this type of application effects our "air" and how we would have to set up exhaust systems to get rid of the chemicals released when applied by the laser, because as we know now, some of the fumes are not good for you. I do apologize if I made you upset in anyway not intended, trust me....I'm usually pretty nice, once you get to know me and you guys are way more knowledgeable then me from what I read, so I am sorry if I offended you in any way!! FRIENDS? lorene
    Last edited by Lorene Fangman; 04-10-2007 at 11:58 AM.

Pictures from Ed Albrite....

As promised, here are the pictures from Ed Albrite. I have made a webpage with them all on here too. Click on the pictures to see them in high resolution.

I'm sure Ed will come on and explain a bit about each of these pictures. The finished images look very good to me. There may be something to this process if the price is right.....

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Fifield; 04-25-2007 at 6:31 PM. Reason: Fix links to hires photos
    Dave Fifield

XYZ Laser - 45W Epilog 36EXT, Rotary, Corel X4, Photograv

Cool idea...

But it gets very close to the look and durability that dye-sublimation achieves. Perhaps it can be applied to some surfaces that cannot be use in dye-sub apps.

My personal opinion is that the narrow market that will result from licensing may hurt them, but hey, that's what our free market is all about!
    J W Lehman
    ULS 35W - Corel X3 - Adobe Illustrator CS2

Not bad, but still not close to the quality of the graphics on the imaginetile products.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Any additional news on this?
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

You can follow the progress of the patent application on the USPTO sit at
    http://portal.uspto.gov/external/por...dSearchOption=
    the case number is 11551601

Also, you can read the full patent application detailing the process at
    http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...RS=20070092295

Note: If you go to the link it may give you a pass phrase screen first. After entering in the two words and submitting, just re-paste the link and it will appear.

In looking over the patent process, the part about changing the frequency for each of the cmyk color separation layers is a long used process in the printing industry and is in no way new.
    Jack

missing question

It seems to me that one very important question is missing from this discussion. How long does it take to prepare your image for this process? Seems to me that might be why it takes 3 days of training.
    Dan Starr
    Sm.Art Imaging TM
    Vytek L-star 4896 65w, Illustrator & Photoshop CS3, PhotoGrav

I see no announcements or further examples of this process by those that have bought into it on any laser boards? No new success stories or case studies , real world projects etc?
    The silence on this seems deafening!!

I can,t speak for how the company actually does this process. However, from the position of time to CMYK separate a file and change its angle and dot size, this takes just a a few minutes. Of course you could just as easily change the dot size slightly by adjusting your laser focus.
    Jack

Blog Entries
    Did anyone see a booth by Atomic Art at ARA this year?

I ask because I noticed their utility patent was issued a non-final rejection in December. Of course, we don't have access to the grounds their claim was denied upon, but I'd be interested to know if it was due to lack of novelty. I wonder if they will modify their claims and attempt a refile...
    Last edited by Dan Hintz; 03-04-2009 at 3:16 PM. Reason: Fixed company name
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Did anyone see a booth by Atomic Art at ARA this year?
    Dan,

Yes, they were there. They've terminated their exclusive agreement with Vytec and turned marketing over to Louie Alvarez.
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech

Sounds real messy to me - all the vapourware and the promises of this being the next best thing to sliced bread in the laser world but I dont see any results or much mention of any success stories or of ppl making bushel loads of money out of this....
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Sounds real messy to me - all the vapourware and the promises of this being the next best thing to sliced bread in the laser world but I dont see any results or much mention of any success stories or of ppl making bushel loads of money out of this....
    Well, this is what happens when you try to push a product/service to market when it's not ready for prime time (I'm guilty of it myself from time to time). the idea had/has merit, but the execution was seriously flawed:
    1) Any patents possible remained on shaky ground (and as we now see, even shakier after being rejected!).
    2) Management was not personable, as we saw with the first post from the company owner (Thom), and there were no friendly salespeople to act as a buffer.
    3) Information about the process was (is?) being regarded as a state secret, even though there was little that was novel or unique to the process (color separation has been going on for countless years in the printing industry, and I see no use of their "changing wavelengths" claim since pre-existing, off-the-shelf machines are used)
    4) Marketing was hyping the process up over a long period of time with nothing practical to show for it, leading to annoyed and disillusioned potential customers.
    5) The business organization (territories?) was completely flawed as there would be no protection to buy-ins from outside competitors. No protection from internet sales across territorial boundaries? Refusal to train more than one person per territory was seriously considered a proper solution to prevention of multiple competitors in a territory? To even consider such a plan would work beyond the boardroom tells me a lot about the lack of forethought put into the plan.

Meh... the company (and its technique) may still come to fruition as a viable business, but certainly not in any shape or form previously mentioned.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

If working with putting full color on ceramic and glass intrests you , check out this website;

http://www.enduring-images.com/

It's a kiln fired process, that is permanent light stable!
    you use a laser printer with a specialized toner cartridge.

It's a pretty slik process!

The toners not cheap but it is a way to permanatly fuse a color image to ceramic and glass.

Prices have dropped dramatically, but it is still about $15k plus a kiln to get set up.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Color process time

I understand the Atomic Art process to be a multi layer process. If the envraving time is now 50 minutes for a 12 x 12 tile. Is that for each color layer? If there are four seperations to get the finished tile then that would be 12.5 minutes per layer. The laser I use won't move that fast even at the lowest dpi.

I can see 50 minutes for each color on a full image tile. Now we are talking about 200 minutes per tile. Just thought I would add another question for the mix of unknowns.