Thread: Wooden Gear Clock

Wooden Gear Clock

Anyone ever build the MLT-13 wooden clock that is in the new issue of ScrollSaw magazine?

Any tips you can give on building it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Clock

Hi,

I haven't built that specific clock, but I did build one from plans purchased from the author of the article. No specific tips except..be VERY ACCURATE on cutting the gears and try to minmize friction as much as possible.

Here's a pic of the one I made...

randy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Randy,

How well does it keep time? Not that it really matters that much because it look good. Also what type of wood did you use? thanks.

Dave and Randy,

That is cool stuff. Makes my NYW clocks look like childs play. At the risk of throwing this thread off track, can you share the process in a sentence or two? What tools are used to rough out the gear? Scrollsaw to cut the teeth? I have the same question about accuracy. I would guess a small adjustment is needed each day?

Excellent Randy

Nice clock Randy! As Peter said, "how well does it keep time" and also how many hours did you put into a project like that? Regardless of the accuracy, it turned out great and it looks like a real skill testing project, one that you passed with flying colors! Great job!

Dave
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

I have nothing to add except...."Randy, that looks neat!"

When looking at that clock, the last thing that comes to my mind is what time it is! Nice, nice job.

-Jeff

Randy,
    Do you have a link to the plans for your clock? Beautiful job.

thanks

Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Rhine
    Hi,

I haven't built that specific clock, but I did build one from plans purchased from the author of the article. No specific tips except..be VERY ACCURATE on cutting the gears and try to minmize friction as much as possible.

Here's a pic of the one I made...

randy
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. It was primarly a scroll-saw project. I built it off & on over a period of a month or so. It keeps pretty good tme once adjusted. But...getting the escape mechanism working properly took a considerable amount of fiddling around. I built it about 3 years ago and, except for running it to show people that it works, hardly ever run it anymore. And now when I do, it seem to get stuck and stop after a few minutes or so. I suspect It needs some more adjustiing or ceaning. Maybe the wood has expanded/contracted just slightly and that throws it off. But, if was a fun project.

randy

Quote Originally Posted by Dewayne Reding
    Dave and Randy,

That is cool stuff. Makes my NYW clocks look like childs play. At the risk of throwing this thread off track, can you share the process in a sentence or two? What tools are used to rough out the gear? Scrollsaw to cut the teeth? I have the same question about accuracy. I would guess a small adjustment is needed each day?