Thread: Process Question

Process Question

I am starting to use hand tools more and more as time goes by, and have been having a great time. Having two young kids under 4 equates to limited shop time after they are in bed. Neighbors don’t really care for my DC and planer running at midnight. Anyway, I was wondering how you all go about the following.

I cut out most of my parts using the standard electron killing means. I have been doing joinery and final smoothing with hand tools. When planning sides of parts that will have mortises cut in them, do you cut your mortises first, and then smooth, or smooth and then cut mortises? Since my hand plane skills are rather immature, I find that after I cut the mortises and fit the tennons, I get a good fit between the tennon shoulders and the mating part, but after going over the mortised part with a smooth plane a couple of times, I must get things a little out of whack and loose that good fit. I suppose it just a lack of skill and it will improve with practice. Just wondering what order you all do things. Hope my bad description got the point across.

Thanks,
    Rob Goodwin
    I just want to live happily ever after,
    every now and then.

-- Jimmy Buffett

Robert, I follow the old timber framers rule, finish first then mark all the mortise and tenons from the outside edge of the timber, so that one side is always flush.

my 2cents
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

robert, i have to agree with mr. strasil. i learned my lesson the hard way some time back. finish first and you will do just fine.

scotty
    thank you cheryl for being my wife as well as best friend. without you i wouldnt be who i am today!