Thread: First Bowl

First Bowl

I know I know. WE LOVE PICS AND IT DON'T EXIST TILL WE SEE EM!

So here are all 5 of my projects (see below for description of 4th)

My first turning - Cocobolo 4 1/2"X1 3/4" shot glass hollowed out with forsner bit. The grooves fit my finger perfectly for a nice easy hold on it. Sipmle start.

#2 - oak box 2"X2" hollowed out with forsner bit. Just testing my lathe that I got from a friend. Simplistic design for trying.

#3 - Walnut box 3"X2", hollowed out on lathe. Not finished cleaning the bottom yet, that's why it leans. I left a lot of sand mark and no finish on this. I really wanted it to look rustic and old. I thought that it looked like an old bottle with a cork in the top. (almost blew out the side with catches)

I would show my fourth project but it shattered when I threw it at the ground. I was making a mesquite box with ebonized oak finial. Had all finished, sanded, and poly'd. All I had to do was part it off the sacrificial block. I ripped the bottom out being too aggresive with the parting tool that needed to be sharpened. LESSON LEARNED. Now to remake M-I-L's present!

I turned my 5th piece now, first bowl. Hickory 5 3/4"X3". Started warping while sanding so I ended up with uneven sides. I could not stop with this piece though as the ants did a fine job of adding some beauty to the thing. I love the figure in the wood as well. The form was a little forced on me (bad toolmanship, gouging the sides ) Finished with 3 coats of tounge oil. Again wanting to leave the wood to look aged I did not polish to a sheen.

Sorry for the pics they are from my work camera not my good one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Fun, isn't it? Get busy and do your practice on a number of bowl blanks you can set aside to make round ones out of later. Dry wood cuts with the same angles wet does, just cut a bit thinner and expect a bit hotter, so your training won't be wasted. Got something better'n hickory to play with? Maybe some cottonwood, sycamore or soft maple? Much more forgiving with their short grain.

Tyler, Tyler,Tyler you will learn that the XYL's love anything we do and certainly applies to the " mistakes" , ( shows her we are not perfect and sometimes readly admit to it ) next time just glue something to the bottom , let it set , take a break and git back to it. the LOYL will never know the diff and she will think you did it for her ... which you did. And she will cherish it forever .....
    John 3:16

XYL??? means what?

Well at the time I do not have a chuck and was using a face plate. The nature of the pice and the area of rupture did not allow for the piece to be saved. It would have been akward looking to try to glue on and go on.

The piece was actualy for the mother in law.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Ya know Tyler...I've noticed that all the bowls that I throw at the floor, tend to shatter just like yours did! You must have the same kind of floor I have.

Nice going on these pieces! Don't worry...It just gets harder from here.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Blog Entries
    Good lookin stuff there Tyler.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Ya know Tyler...I've noticed that all the bowls that I throw at the floor, tend to shatter just like yours did! You must have the same kind of floor I have.
    Reminds me of moving my drying rack to get in and sweep the chimney last year. Dropped a 16" cherry blank about 1-1 1/4 thick off the shelf. It hit on the end grain, of course, and I didn't have to look after hearing the sound it made. Crack opened almost a quarter inch on the rim. Lots of stress in there.

More pictures of things I hope I can get somewhere in the same neighborhood quality-wise when I start. I think you did well.
    John

"It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day
    that you realize how often they burst into flames."

Way to go Tyler. Mighty fine looking stuff.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Tyler, my 1st bowl split in half but it was thick enough it didn't shatter so I glued back together and now use it for a nut bowl. Not real pretty, but probably will always be my favorite bowl! I have found sharp tools, practice and lots of patients pays off. The guys on this site give great advice and always give you something to shoot for. Looks like you been bit by the turning bug and have a good start!

Very nice first turnings that is for sure! Great stuff and have fun!

Corey

Tyler - looks like you are off to a great start! Nice turnings. Just keep turning and playing around with different forms/styles and you will be surprised at what you can do!

Have fun with it, be safe and post often!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

13. Nice start, Tyler - keep 'em coming!