Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treasure from my trip to Pennsylvania

Treasure from my trip to Pennsylvania

Hi folks,

A week or two back, I was asking about places to find old tools in central Pennsylvania. Thanks to all who pointed me in the right direction. I hit a couple of flea markets, and numerous antique stores. The best two spots were Old River Hard Goods in Nesquehoning, and Bill Phillip's Tool Barn in New Tripoli.

Old River hard goods is an interesting place. Nothing is organized, and everything is piled high. If you like to sort through piles and boxes, looking for treasure this is a place for you. I spent about an hour and a half looking around, but never saw half of what was there! Tony has stuff he does not even know he has!

Bill Phillips tool Barn is a wonderful place, and Bill is a great guy. I spent four hours talking with bill and looking at old tools. He has an enormous inventory, fair prices, and things are very organized. Bill has been collecting tool his whole life. He even has his own tool museum! If you are ever in the area, you should definitely stop in and visit with Bill. Thanks to Bill Grumbine for giving such good directions!

Here are a few pictures of what I came home with:

1/4" & 3/8" mortise chisels & a couple of Witherbys. My Grandpa turned the socket chisel handels out of black locust.

pa pics 020.jpg

#80 & #12 scrapers, & a unmarked spokeshave

pa pics 106.jpg

Harvey W Peace 12 ppi panel saw & a Disston 6 ppi panel saw, both filed crosscut. I couldn't pass up the Peace saw as it already had my three initials stamped in the handle.

pa pics 050.jpg

pa pics 092.jpg

pa pics 086.jpg

More pictures in the next post!
    Last edited by jonathan snyder; 01-29-2007 at 1:31 AM.

Here's a couple of more pics.

A Disston dovetail saw filed crosscut. I plan to use this as a tenon saw.

pa pics 102.jpg

My Dad, picked up this Stanley Miter box for picture frame making. The saw is incredibly clean.

pa pics 089.jpg

pa pics 088.jpg

Here is a picture of me and Bill Phillips in his tool museum.

pa pics 065.jpg

It was a great trip, I spent time with my family, met some wonderful folks, and came home with some new old tools.

Jonathan

Jonathan,
    Thanks for sharing & I'm glad you had a good trip.
    Looks like you have some sharpening to do now!

-Mike

Great haul Jonathan. I've made the trek over to Bill Phillip's place when visit Mr. Grumbine before. Indeed his prices are fair and the tools he has are proper and accurately described. Did you get to look at the donkey treadmill power setup in the barn?
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Bill Phillips is a great guy! He also has a LARGE collection of wonderful tools. His museum is incredible. Glad you got to stop by, and yes, it is easy to spend 4 hours there, very easy.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Nice haul Jonathan!
    I'm familiar with Olde River but does anyone have address or contact info for Bill Phillips? Sounds like a short road trip is in my future

Michael

Nice haul Jonathan! Glad you found the treasure troves even if you did need to travel a bit farther (than you already did! ). I haven't been to either place, but may need to go soon!

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    Bill Phillips is a great guy! He also has a LARGE collection of wonderful tools. His museum is incredible. Glad you got to stop by, and yes, it is easy to spend 4 hours there, very easy.
    Ha ha, we thought someone had kidnapped Martin last time he was here! You know, I should charge for maps to his place. I could cut back on some of the other work I have to do.

Bill

I'd like to know where Bill Phillips place is as well.

My wife just agreed to a trip to philadelphia.

Winterthur, longwood gardens, philly museum of art, cheesesteak, and 1 (maybe 2) days searching for old stuff (mostly tools).

Thanks,
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine
    Ha ha, we thought someone had kidnapped Martin last time he was here! You know, I should charge for maps to his place. I could cut back on some of the other work I have to do.

Bill
    Bill,

I could have stayed there all day talking with Bill, but after 4 hours,my wife and sister had had enough! I think Bill had a hundred other things he wanted to show us. I'm alrady looking forward to my next trip, without my wife and sister!

If anyone wants Bill's phone number, PM me.

Jonathan

Yep, it is easy to spend a lot of time in that shop. I highly reccommend it to anyone in the area.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

That Harvey W Peace saw is apparently quite rare. I say that because the guy who hosts a website on them (Joshua, his site is here ) said he had only ever SEEN one. I'm sure he'd like to see pics of yours. That nickel plated piece on the bottom of the tote makes it a P70 - Perfection model. Top of the line.

I posted here about the small one I picked up at an auction last year. thread

Nice selection of other tools too !

Cheers
    Last edited by Ian Gillis; 01-31-2007 at 9:55 PM.
    I'm guided by the beauty of our weapons -- Leonard Cohen

Ian,

Looks like you got a nice one. How does it cut?

I believe I have a P68 as it is a skew back. Unfortunately, the etch is completely gone, and a previous owner has stamped his initials into the handle. As coincidence would have it the previous owners initials were the same as mine. For $12.00, I could not pass it up. It needs a sharpening, but I will not attempt it, as I have not learned to sharpen saws yet.

I will contact Joshua to see if he would like pictures.

Jonathan

Jonathan, can i get Address/directions to both those places from you? They're near my parents house and will give me something to do while visiting.

thanks
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan snyder
    Looks like you got a nice one. How does it cut?
    I'm afraid it's got a problem. There's a "wow" in the middle of the cutting edge that I haven't been able to eliminate. I've tried bending with my fingers, over the horn of my anvil and I've had a go with a ball pein hammer on the flat of the anvil. It's beyond my skills to fix it. Seems like the steel is stretched

It's a real disappointment because the saw has excellent balance and feels very comfortable in the hand.
    I'm guided by the beauty of our weapons -- Leonard Cohen